AOTY (TS*)

1. Owen Pallett - Island (we all know Owen Pallett, right?)
  2. Disq - Collector (indie rock, fucking great hooks and melodies)
  3. GoGo Penguin - GoGo Pengiun (piano-led jazz, probably a bit shit but I love it)
  4. Craven Faults - Erratics & Unconformities (synthy ambient fuzzy nice)
  5. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud (didn’t think I liked her but I really do!)
2 Likes

This is the first mention I’ve seen of Disq on here - I’ve not listened to it much (too busy with Dogleg!), but really enjoyed it the times i did spin it… Will get it back on rotation

This albums quite nice, thanks! Have listened to it a couple of times today.

I have tomorrow off work, so maybe I’ll attempt my list so far then.

1 Like

Top 5:

1. The Strokes - The New Abnormal
  2. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
  3. Run The Jewels - RTJ4
  4. No Age - Goons Be Gone
  5. Nathan Fake - Blizzards

Honorables:

Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Caribou - Suddenly

1 Like

Loads to like so far, today my top five would look like…

1. Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke (this feels massively overlooked, and is up there with A Turn of Breath. Haunting piano led decaying beauty)

2. Beatrice Dillon - Workaround

3. Ann Margaret Hogan - Honeysuckle Burials (Boomkat sold it to me as “gorgeous swirl of reflective solo piano and field recordings” so i’m happy to just steal that line)

4. Rafael Anton Irisarri - Peripeteia (king of the textured ambient drone)

5. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?

Also enjoying Jeff Parker, Warmth, Slow Reels, Jaar/A.A.L, DJ Python, Wanderwelle, Moses Sumney, Avery + Cortini and Yves Tumor.

2 Likes

For me this suffers for a gap in quality between the two lead singles and the rest of the album. If I had discovered those two songs in the album I’d probably be thinking about it more positively than going into it having heard those tracks and then being a bit disappointed that the rest of the album wasn’t as strong. Definitely not a bad record though.

1 Like

No worries. Can take a little time to sink in as it’s definitely a ‘whole thing’, but I’ve grown to really like it.

Is this going to be one that’s counted up and, if so, when’s the deadline for submitting? Really struggling to decide a top 5 from about 7-8 choices

Glad I’m seeing this on a few lists here. It’s so fucking good. I’ve never heard the original or the Jamie XX remix though so should I go back to those?

1. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
  2. Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke
  3. Midori Hirano - Invisible Island
  4. Craven Faults - Erratics & Unconformities
  5. Melenas - Dias Raros

Massively influenced by the general lockdown mood and spending time listening to music whilst working, which I don’t normally do. Picks 2 and 3 in particular will, I think, always sound lockdown-y to me.

3 Likes

@JaguarPirate mentioned them too. it’s bloody great. loneliness might be my favourite song of the year.

1 Like

The original is great yeah.

2 Likes

That’s fair enough, I had to look up which two tracks were the singles (Comma & Weight, right?), and interesting that they follow each other on the LP. They’re both wonderful tracks and moments within the record.

Nah, just thought it might be a good way to get heads up on stuff to check out (hence the request for descriptions)

2 Likes

And I like the Jamie xx version to be fair. Probs the weakest of the three, but still really good.

1 Like

D19 is the one for me <3

(Basically a lyric from the song tbh)

1 Like

Apologies realised I didn’t write up any descriptions.

RAP Ferreira - jazzy introspective hip hop

Mary Lattimore & Mac McCaughan - harp led dreamy soundscapes

Navy Blue - for fans of Earl’s Some Rap Songs. Great dense and scattered samples.

Pigs x7 - RIFFS x7! Probably their catchy collection of metal jams.

Gia Margaret - gentle piano soundscapes.

Flat Worms - fuzzed out garage jams from Oh Sees tour mates.

1 Like

DJ Python- Mas Amable
Yves Tumor- Heaven to a tortured mind
Gigi Masin- Calypso
Chromatics-Faded Now
CS + Kreme- Snoopy (Jonnine from HTRK’s partner…husky ambient electronics)

realised there’s lots of decent records I’ve listened to only once or twice

1 Like

CS + Kreme is great. Need to listen to it more.

1 Like

think the Yaeji mixtape is still my album of the year

2 Likes