AOTY (TS*)

1. Owen Pallett - Island (we all know Owen Pallett, right?)
  2. Disq - Collector (indie rock, fucking great hooks and melodies)
  3. GoGo Penguin - GoGo Pengiun (piano-led jazz, probably a bit shit but I love it)
  4. Craven Faults - Erratics & Unconformities (synthy ambient fuzzy nice)
  5. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud (didn’t think I liked her but I really do!)
2 Likes

This is the first mention I’ve seen of Disq on here - I’ve not listened to it much (too busy with Dogleg!), but really enjoyed it the times i did spin it… Will get it back on rotation

This albums quite nice, thanks! Have listened to it a couple of times today.

I have tomorrow off work, so maybe I’ll attempt my list so far then.

1 Like

Top 5:

1. The Strokes - The New Abnormal
  2. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
  3. Run The Jewels - RTJ4
  4. No Age - Goons Be Gone
  5. Nathan Fake - Blizzards

Honorables:

Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Caribou - Suddenly

1 Like

Loads to like so far, today my top five would look like…

1. Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke (this feels massively overlooked, and is up there with A Turn of Breath. Haunting piano led decaying beauty)

2. Beatrice Dillon - Workaround

3. Ann Margaret Hogan - Honeysuckle Burials (Boomkat sold it to me as “gorgeous swirl of reflective solo piano and field recordings” so i’m happy to just steal that line)

4. Rafael Anton Irisarri - Peripeteia (king of the textured ambient drone)

5. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?

Also enjoying Jeff Parker, Warmth, Slow Reels, Jaar/A.A.L, DJ Python, Wanderwelle, Moses Sumney, Avery + Cortini and Yves Tumor.

2 Likes

For me this suffers for a gap in quality between the two lead singles and the rest of the album. If I had discovered those two songs in the album I’d probably be thinking about it more positively than going into it having heard those tracks and then being a bit disappointed that the rest of the album wasn’t as strong. Definitely not a bad record though.

1 Like

No worries. Can take a little time to sink in as it’s definitely a ‘whole thing’, but I’ve grown to really like it.

Glad I’m seeing this on a few lists here. It’s so fucking good. I’ve never heard the original or the Jamie XX remix though so should I go back to those?

1. The Soft Pink Truth - Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase?
  2. Ian William Craig - Red Sun Through Smoke
  3. Midori Hirano - Invisible Island
  4. Craven Faults - Erratics & Unconformities
  5. Melenas - Dias Raros

Massively influenced by the general lockdown mood and spending time listening to music whilst working, which I don’t normally do. Picks 2 and 3 in particular will, I think, always sound lockdown-y to me.

3 Likes

@JaguarPirate mentioned them too. it’s bloody great. loneliness might be my favourite song of the year.

1 Like

The original is great yeah.

2 Likes

That’s fair enough, I had to look up which two tracks were the singles (Comma & Weight, right?), and interesting that they follow each other on the LP. They’re both wonderful tracks and moments within the record.

Nah, just thought it might be a good way to get heads up on stuff to check out (hence the request for descriptions)

2 Likes

And I like the Jamie xx version to be fair. Probs the weakest of the three, but still really good.

1 Like

D19 is the one for me <3

(Basically a lyric from the song tbh)

1 Like

Apologies realised I didn’t write up any descriptions.

RAP Ferreira - jazzy introspective hip hop

Mary Lattimore & Mac McCaughan - harp led dreamy soundscapes

Navy Blue - for fans of Earl’s Some Rap Songs. Great dense and scattered samples.

Pigs x7 - RIFFS x7! Probably their catchy collection of metal jams.

Gia Margaret - gentle piano soundscapes.

Flat Worms - fuzzed out garage jams from Oh Sees tour mates.

1 Like

DJ Python- Mas Amable
Yves Tumor- Heaven to a tortured mind
Gigi Masin- Calypso
Chromatics-Faded Now
CS + Kreme- Snoopy (Jonnine from HTRK’s partner…husky ambient electronics)

realised there’s lots of decent records I’ve listened to only once or twice

1 Like

CS + Kreme is great. Need to listen to it more.

1 Like

think the Yaeji mixtape is still my album of the year

2 Likes

1 LOATHE
Yea, they really do rip off Deftones, but that doesn’t stop this being an amazing bit of hardcore, with the melodic style Deftone do best.

2 Huntsmen
I was in no mood for a pro metal sci fi double album but holy hell this is amazing. Dramatic post metal, proggy solos and some great riffing. It’s amazing that an almost 90 album can hold my attention these days.

3 Colin Phils. American indie, with a math rock touch.

4 Holy Fuck. Stomping dance music

5 (0) Danish Black metal. More post rock infused metal with a growling vocal rather than shrieking. It’s pretty melodic for the genre.

6 Bow Church. Bits of techno, trance and witch house melded into a brilliant, moody album.

7 Sunda arc. 2 jazz guys make an electronica album that sounds like Kiasmos.

8 Garganjua. Huge crushing post metal with an odd self help lean to it.

9 RTJ 4. I’m a little disappointed by it, it’s a bit too slick for its own good but then LOOK AT ALL THESE SLAVE MASTERS POSING ON YOUR DOLLAR!

10 Algiers. That gospel meets noise rock sound is just done so well.

4 Likes