april. politics. 2019. politics politics politics.

also are all M-Ls tankies? vlad was 40 year dead by the time czechoslovakia happened, isn’t it

I like this, it’s nice.

1 Like

went to a comprehensive that is now an academy? dunno when that happened but was long after I left.

Went to a public preparatory school that was absurdly well-off, and had literal oligarchs going to it - I’m pretty sure there was a Getty in the same year as a family friend.

Spent the next three years realising how much of a knob that had made me, and the following decade or so trying to work out what to do about that.

OTOH, they had really good disability support that probably made a massive positive difference in my life at a time when I wouldn’t have had that support in my local Primary school, so idk it was good for me, but they obviously shouldn’t exist at all.

Tankie is really meant to refer to people who support the more authoritarian actions taken by the USSR which were particularly prevalent under Stalin so I’d probably say no.

This is probably more contentious, whilst I do think M-L’s ideology is flawed, for the same reasons that Raya Dunayevskaya put forward (it appears to replicate the same social relations that exist under capitalism but with the state as opposed to the bourgeoisie). I’m not sure if I would go as far as saying it always necessarily calls for the kind of actions that were taken by Stalin from the 1950s onwards.

1 Like

now known as the Department ABOUT Education

2 Likes

scott walker wrote a banger about tankies

3 Likes

lol

6 Likes

Off topic but when I started my current job, the company hammered on about its diversity constantly. I would estimate 92% of employees are white.

1 Like

A completely normal country

2 Likes

Ah, that explains much of it, then. Ta.

(Still feels alien to me. And that’s coming from a guy who went to a single sex selective state grammar.)

I liked it up until the Cayman Islands bit. Feels like there could have been a more measured and cutting take down than just booooo, off-shore git.

But, yeah, nice to see something unambiguously pro-public sector beyond just the usual nurses are good, innit.

Fair point - but up til then, I just think it does a really good job of explaining something that is obviously true, but not necessarily easy to put into a sound-bite…

Being a councillor is one of the least appealing jobs I can think of. Maximum blame by dorks for everything under the sun, without anything like the remuneration there should be.

Do other countries tend to pay their (equivalent of) councillors proper wages, and accept that it is (if done properly) a full time job?

Sounds like the grant maintained thing from the 90s?

Yeah it does a decent job of bringing home the value of investing in people and places.

I guess one other gripe might be that it presents an idealised version of where these people are spending their money without noting that they may just as easily be spending their cash with Amazon, or wherever, which will not have anything life the same positive effect as buying from the local small enterprise trader who runs their own shop and lives round the corner.

But, yeah, there’s a good root message in their about the benefit of community-focused policy.

I wonder if there’s a specific target demographic for it - northern towns that have felt economically overlooked in recent years, perhaps?

Faith schools.

(Anonymous)

• Pro
  • Anti
  • Anti in theory, but, y’know…
  • Pro in theory, but they’re being done wrong

0 voters

On the one hand I’m tempted to say it’s something to do with the structure of it.

The pattern of local government in England is complex, with the distribution of functions varying according to the local arrangements… County Councils, District Councils, Metropolitan Borough Councils, City Councils, Unitary Authorities, London Borough Councils, Ceremonial Counties, Parish Councils… and so on… The state of it.

Whereas

Local government in Scotland is organised through 32 unitary authorities designated as councils. Bosh!

But yer regular moaning local without a clue exists just as readily round these parts as it does across the whole of the UK. Cos, as you say, beyond councils there’s a whole host of overlapping bodies responsible for all manner of things like transport, development planning, water, and so on. You kinda can’t fully blame the populace for not having a full understanding of it all.

How do other countries do it? Or is it just the case that local government (and government in general) is maligned the world over?

1 Like

@moderators (ta)

1 Like