april. politics. 2019. politics politics politics.

Probs should be UK when there’s this?:

2 Likes

The thread transition cut off my excitement for going to Bristol Transformed this weekend :angry:

But yes, I’m very hype! Is anyone else going?

1 Like

I always think Theresa May’s husband is Phillip Hammond.

3 Likes

Newport West By Election on Thursday!!

fair

A post was merged into an existing topic: End of Feb/all of March UK politics thread

enjoyed this one-two of comment/profile pic that came up on my facebook today

1 Like

Yeah, I just feel quite funny about being, for the purposes of self determination as you describe, Scottish, when actual Scottish people I know aren’t. I’m obviously not saying immigrants can’t be citizens, just not sure I’ll ever feel anything but a Londoner and an English person, even though I’ve spent a third of my life outside London.

Whooooa-oh I’m an alien

Why does the observer need to tell us, every single fucking week, in a headline “news” story at the very top of their website, that Tom Watson doesn’t think Jeremy corbyn is good. So, so weak.

1 Like

“unity government”. tom watson is an absolute fucking scumbag. get rid of him ffs.

3 Likes

So Volodymyr Zelensky, a guy who played the president in a TV show is now in the lead in presidential polls in Ukraine.

Does anyone know anything ? All I know is what I’ve just read on his Wikipedia page, and that gives off a distinctly Macron-ish vibe, which isn’t great…

(also for April, it could be worth having a general non-Brexit politics thread? As it is, the UK politics and Brexit threads get mixed up a lot)

I did my dissertation on internet message board communities, which made heavy reference to this book. It’s a social science classic alright.

Where’s the new politics thread are we enjoying our payrise :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:

3 Likes

Zelensky’s TV show is on a channel run by Ihor Kolomoyskyi, the former governor of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast (now Sicheslav Oblast) and it’s a badly kept secret that it’s his money that keeps the wheels greased. Also, don’t trust anyone who wants to run more referendums.

My wife voted yesterday and judging by the chat in her district, most of them would back Poroshenko again, but outside of Kyiv, I’m not so sure. Chocolate King (Poroshenko) only polled 9% in the East and those who voted for Tymoshenko aren’t going to back him up now. Boyko and Lyshako voters, maybe, but that’s not going to be enough.

4 Likes

Genuinely thought she was joking before I looked at her twitter name

All we are is lab rats to you

4 Likes

what does mason mean when he says “working class pro-imperialism”? is that actually a thing?

i’d argue that’s definitely a thing, tbh.

2 Likes

interesting.

always pegged the more hard-edged ukip/bnp/NF types i knew around east leeds growing up as quite isolationist. not necessarily anti-imperialist. i would guess they had this peculiar attitude that saw “england” as something they needed to almost “re-colonise” before presumably reviving the global empire.

Despite all GEOFFS rage we are still just rats on a page

13 Likes