April's Action Free Football Thread

Yep. There’s actually loads of options.

1 Like
6 Likes

Sean Dyche: Remainer.

No, really

1 Like

Lyle Taylor, Karl Henry, Sol Campbell, David Dunn, Dave Whelan: varying levels of Tory

One of the biggest disappointments of my lifetime. Slightly taints the fact I was at the USA 94 final applauding the likes of Cafu who are now massive fans of Bollocksfaceo, might as well have been Berlin '36.

Nice work

Was flicking through a reddit post on English football’s wealthiest owners. Such an on brand name for Burnley

Nigel Pearson: leftie remainer, all-round top bloke and one of my heroes

2 Likes

Shall we do our players who made us fall in love with football then?

Bryan Gunn a Norwich legend, beat Bayern Munich and stuck with us during our era of mediocrity (also Scottish)

Roberto Baggio the star of USA 94 (my first tournament) who even had a dramatic conclusion

Henrik Larsson was only a kid at the same tournament and already looked like a star, the fact he spent his best years at Celtic is mental, but then his runs at Barca and United were just as thrilling.

Alan Shearer - obviously think he’s a bit of a bellend now (kind of knew at the time really too) but fuck he was good. I adopted Newcastle as my premier league team in the mid to late 90s when Norwich got relegated so I spent a lot of time loving him.

By 1998: Roberto Carlos & Dennis Bergkamp

1 Like

gonna buy a few books to read as a treat. could anyone recommend something football related? preferably non-uk centric. interested in fan culture and history rather than contemporary malcolm football analysis.

The Sid Lowe Clasico one is great IMO.

Brilliant Orange is the touchstone for “culture and history” via football though.

7 Likes

oh and Batistuta!

1 Like

Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper is a good read - quite old now, but sheds some excellent light on some bitter footballing rivalries.

3 Likes

ah sorry, read both.

i’ll add some i’ve read

Fear and Loathing in La Liga
Morbo
Futebol
Fever Pitch
White Storm
La Roja
Brilliant Orange

1 Like

I’ll add Tor! by Ulli Hesse to the mix, as it goes. Again, a little old, but a great read on German football.

1 Like

was looking at that.

reckon you’d love football in sun and shadow by eduardo galeano

4 Likes

ta!

VAR and Peace

5 Likes