April's Action Free Football Thread

If you can be arsed to wait I’ll happily post you “inverting the pyramid” when the lockdown is relaxed

2 Likes

sure, cheers mate! :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/goalstv3/status/1251200728623874048?s=21

Probably should use this time off to remember how to be a goalkeeper

Forgot the ol safety wink.

Actuslly looks like he is in a hotel poor lad

did mine on Fb earlier

maybe quite boring, but honest all the same

Eric, Al, Giggsy, Becks, Zizou

Eric - the only one I love as a person to this day. just spellbinding, the swagger with which he played. I really wish he’d been able to make an impact internationally, maybe stuck around a season more to have more of a crack at the CL.

Shearer - me and my sister went nextdoor to watch Euro 96 because our television was broken and the young parents that had moved in were lovely and we used to talk to their little boy through the bushes when we were playing in the garden.

that was the first time I’d ever watched lots of live footy; tbh, I’d barely been able to watch anything at all until then. the most fundamental thing in me falling in love with the game, and obviously Shearer was the talisman.

Giggs - mostly through United’s CL exploits - notably our battles with Juve - and then that goal against Arsenal.

I actually think he’s weirdly underrated as a player, certainly over here. maybe due to overfamiliarity, also perhaps due to being a bit of a shit. young/prime Giggsy was as electric as anyone to ever play the game.

Becks - what can I say? funny thing: before I even saw him play, when I used to get all the footy mags, I did a little ‘presentation’ on him in school. this was in 1995, before he properly broke out. I drew a picture of him that I copied from a bit in Match.

but yeah, obvious innit? also weirdly underrated; much more than just an incredibly hard worker.

Zidane - I used to pretend to be Zidane when I played football in the park with my friends. the best ever at that classic style of feint-heavy dribbling. magic.

2 Likes

Ruud Van Nistelrooy honourary mention. I mean, he’s only missing out because he came along after the first five. probably my favourite ever striker - ridiculous balance, poise and finishing.

1 Like

just thinking about how lucky us United fans were to be able to see our boys pitted against such ridiculously great players in our long run in the CL under Fergie.

1 Like

Some that haven’t been mentioned:
A Season With Verona
A Life Too Short
The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro

3 Likes

will have a look, ta. italian footie?

The first and last are. The middle one is about Robert Enke, the German keeper who took his own life in 2009. It’s written by a close friend of his and is unsurprisingly quite heartbreaking.

2 Likes

100 pages into Doctor Socrates and it’s very enjoyable

only done the one, since I cba, but

1. Ronaldo ‘Fenomeno’.

The fact that I can distinctly remember what I had for dinner the night* me and my grandad watched him score the goal in the video below is testament to how much I idolised this player as a kid. I spent the next day trying to recreate that play in the garden, and then tried out some of the moves on the playground on Monday (and pulled it off!). If injuries, questionable transfers and mental health weren’t factors, then he’d be par with Messi in terms of all time greats, no doubt. Just pure power and technique. Fucking shat on every defence in his prime.

*Lamb chops

1. Bebeto

2. Zola

3. Raul

4. Valeron

5. Zidane

6. Casillas

7. Del Piero

8. Batigol

9. Rivaldo

5 Likes

literally the entire stadium giving him a standing ovation <3

1 Like

Eric Cantona
Ryan Giggs
Steve Castle - Argyle captain when I started going. Brilliant leader, good player.
Dwight Marshall - Used to score 90% of our goals around 1993/4
Alan Nicholls (RIP :broken_heart:) - Best goalkeeper I’ve ever seen live. Played for us in the mid-90s but had to leave cause of his ‘poor attitude’ and had a falling out with Peter Shilton, our manager at the time. Died age 22 in a motorbike accident.

2 Likes

The thrill every time he speeds up after the first few challenges. Incredible.

1 Like

the composure on that finish when he’d just done all that, plus being off balance.

most players would be blasting it in the general direction of the goal at that point.

My random betting has been going pretty well.

My random global football betting is going quite well.

2 Likes

Really dark story conceding Yan Valery on Twitter. Not sure how to address it on here.

Terrific read, this.

1 Like