Arctic Monkeys

I’ve tried, but it sounds too close to Last Shadow Puppets (who I hate with a rare and fierce anger). It seems really arch and a little too knowing, but not in a fun way, just really dull. I will try again this week and see how I get on. Still pisses me off that any time a publication quotes the band, they include “accent” stuff. Fucks sake

really like the fact that the author, who seemingly only wears turtlenecks in real life, finishes the review with the line ‘i still think the dress code is preposterous’ :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah the official Reddit has tons of the ‘anti’ stuff too, goes without saying that it’s all over Twitter but that’s casual fans/one-CD-a-year merchants. The reddit is the hardcore and it’s gone down like a knackered lift with a lot of them.

only just clocked ‘good morning, cheeseburger’ :rofl:

Totally agree. Always esp been into That’s Where Your Wrong…

3 Likes

‘Critical kickings’?? The critics have loved it though. Q mag gave it 5 stars!

I think if there’s been a backlash it’s the other way round; people thinking they’d not like it or maybe didn’t at first who now DO like it having lived with it. There’s a lot of that around.

That’s easily one of their best songs.

2 Likes

I love that tune

2 Likes

Very satisfying to play the intro on guitar for some weird reason.

Thought it was quite a smart comment concerning the concept of the album

I’ve only had a couple of listens, but i really like it, it reminds me a bit of The Divine Comedy in places, weirdly

Yip! Always had a ‘classic’ feel to it…

Liked it on first spin, love it now after several. It’s fucking excellent. It’s subtleties are it’s strength and I can tell they’ll keep me returning to it for quite a while.

Echo some of the comments above; I don’t find it that much of a stylistic left turn or departure from AM, just a bit more “mature” (for want of a better word). Don’t really have anything negative to say about it… except maybe The World’s First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip (worst song title) always seems to drift by completely unnoticed

Recent interview with Alex from 6 Music -

1 Like

Royal Albert Hall ballot ticket thingy for Warchild in a couple of weeks…

1 Like

Whenever that songs plays I’ve not really paid attention until the title line in the song and I’ve thought, “oh this is the truck flip one”.
I don’t know if that’s intentional. “Push the button and we’ll do the rest” could be a reference to the TV. “Turn on, tune in, drop out”. Or the internet (exotic sound of data storage). Couple with the fact I read somewhere that this album’s influenced by DFW’s Infinite Jest, and that Postman book.

Or it’s just an unmemorable song with a laughable title. Googling the lyrics did lead me to an amusing blog post…

Is there any indication of how much the tickets are if you get through the ballot?

Ha! this is a good point - I thought not, but AM website says they “start” at £45

1 Like

That’s reasonable. I’ve put my £2 in, I think it’s a very smart way of raising money!

1 Like

Remember Warchild doing a series of gigs where you had to pay £10 to enter a few years ago, but that was ticket bought if you did win. Suspect they probably raise more money this way through loads of people taking a punt on it at £2, so fair enough.