Arctic Monkeys

The Americans seem really into them, the album probably has a decent chance to be their first number 1 there.

ad286f3e15a9275df3cb8777415c3fbca5354dd5_1_690x388

1 Like

Can’t wait to see them drop this one at Primavera.

As I have said above I am not a fan of this record (the flaws outweigh the good bits) but, to have parlayed there reputation into a number of festival headline slots and a sold out tour were they have charged ÂŁ60ish a ticket for this album is really funny.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s brilliant that Fallon clip. … And the expanded band! One of Klaxons! One of Tame Impala! Some other bloke!

1 Like

very good. altho the Coral don’t belong on that turgid list, IMHO.

who the fuck are all those people?

1 Like

On the basis of that clip I can see this being a relative flop in the UK but massive in the US - it really hits that 70s point where soft rock sort of merges with vegas lounge acts.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t see the previous post! This is what happens when you read threads backwards

1 Like

don’t think i’m really gonna get on with this but i think if you’re gonna do a load of drugs and write an album about a restaurant on the moon then you may as well go all the way eh? fair play to em

20 Likes

Cam Avery, Tom Rowley, James Righton, possibly James Ford and… others.
It’s a pretty long list of side-guys involved. Kinda cramped but it looked better onstage at their own shows.

Makes sense, there’s about 8 different people credited as playing on each track in the album liner notes.

Listened to the album a couple of times and think it’s pretty great. Love the production and style of it. Of course they’ve gone off and made a cosmic Americana lounge concept album, they were never going to make AM part 2.

1 Like

God it’s so samey

1 Like

You mean you’re not looking forward to ‘The Ultracheese’?

Keep seeing this ‘they were never going to make AM Pt 2’ or ‘they’re not going to write songs about getting drunk in Sheffield anymore’, but I haven’t seen a single person actually asking for that.

1 Like

I mean, I’m interested in giving it a listen but I was speaking to my mate about this earlier and he said that he thought the lyrics we some of Alex Turner’s best. He said that the line “kiss me underneath the moon’s side boob” was a particular favourite as I laughed in his face.

6 Likes

i found it a bit hard to make it through the whole thing and it is very samey, but some decent moments and i always admire when a big band takes a left turn that loads of their fans will hate.

I’m astonished that people find this album audacious. I really like it - and the lyrics are terrific - but it doesn’t sound like a huge departure to me.

2 Likes