Are you allowed to buy things with coins?

thank you and have a nice day!

1 Like

I assume so, googling suggests they were out in the early 80s for some reason. There’s other weird coins like £5 coins etc too.

1 Like

Because people still loved the old money it seems

The British decimal twenty-five pence (25p ) coin was a commemorative denomination of sterling coinage issued in four designs between 1972 and 1981. These coins were a post-decimalisation continuation of the traditional crown, with the same value of a quarter of a pound. Uniquely in British decimal coinage, the coins do not have their value stated on them. This is because previous crowns rarely did so. The British regular issue coin closest to the coin’s nominal value is the twenty pence coin.

Edit, I think my mum has a few of these in a tin somewhere

they’re massive and heavy.

1 Like

to help when deciding whether to wake up on one or both days.

1 Like

putting on the eyes of a corpse to ensure a safe journey to the afterlife

7 Likes

Reckon this falls under the remit of “buying things”.

spent this and they didn’t care thank you all

Yep, and it means those idiots you sometimes saw in the newspapers trying to pay their council tax with pennies because they didn’t like the councils stance on potholes or whatever, could have been refused because above certain limits the coins don’t count as legal tender

Hey bam

Interested in how you came to own so many 50 pence pieces?

Don’t tell him @Bamnan , he’s working with the cops!

3 Likes

There have been a spike in charity box thefts in the Corby area…but my questioning is nothing to do with that.

I can’t believe @stickboy is calling @Bamnan a thief!!!

I don’t know, I have a pot in the house with hundreds in, must have accumulated over years

1 Like

It was nothing to do with that as stated

Congrats bam that’s a really good thing to have

1 Like

Is this true?

Yep - it’s also why bus drivers tell you to piss off if you try and pay with a twenty pound note

If I have a load of coins to use then I use a self service till (not all take coins now but a lot still do). Don’t really carry cash much these days though .

Doesn’t legal tender only apply to debts? Ie someone you owe £10 to has to accept your 50ps but can choose whether they’d accept 1ps. So the bus driver, to whom you don’t owe a debt, isn’t legally obligated to accept whatever combination of coins you present and it’s up to them/the bus company. I think?

1 Like

Maybe - it was something that came up in GCSE economics, which was several lifetimes ago. It could well all be out of date these days too