Are you working class, middle class or ... what?

A mate thinks that because of my various cultural interests and my job, it means I am middle class. My dad was a printer and my mum worked in a laundrette, I went to an average state school, got ok but not great qualifications, didn’t go for a degree, went into work and worked my way up to a decent job. I still see myself as working class, just as my parents were.

When I was 16 the careers adviser at school told me to get a job as an office boy in an insurance company. But while I knew I didn’t really want to do that I didn’t really know what I wanted to do - because us working class kids weren’t given the options. It was only by me making an effort to explore the world a bit, look at what was out there from my own initiative and, with a little bit of luck, that I discovered other things that I wanted to do with my life. The country has changed alongside me, of course, and so it is not unusual that I have interests and likes that would have baffled my working class parents. But to say that I am middle class because of my lifestyle is denying who I really am.

This is an interesting article on the subject. The writer says that being an academic as she is, people insist that she is no longer working class. They deny her background, history and experiences. When people say you’re no longer working class they’re effectively saying that there is no place for working class people in this profession, in this art gallery, in this restaurant, in this supermarket… (unless, of course, you’re a celebrity through music, or art, or some other creative endeavour).

https://britainhasclass.org/blog/2017/11/30/not-working-class-anymore

Ahm oot.

1 Like

i’m fucking class, boss

22 Likes

Ha ha ha ha ha. I was thinking, either this will drop like a lead balloon or it will go crazy. No in between.

We’re all older and wiser now…

There was a pretty lengthy debate on it last week, if memory serves in the ‘Any other poor people?’ thread.

I think in the end we agreed that anybody who depends on their wages to survive and couldn’t otherwise manage is by definition working class.

2 Likes

I mean, I was privately educated, did my first degree at St Andrews, my second one at Oxford, and now work as a legal professional, but my grandad was a coal miner so I’m probably the most working class person you’ve ever met.

14 Likes

surely this is pretty classist in itself?

Yes, other people saying I’m middle class because of my cultural interests is very classist, sure.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Well, I do watch Frasier.

2 Likes

I’m best class

3 Likes

Son of a steel worker and an admin assistant. Went to a comp, first member of my family to get a degree. Enjoys the beer stylings of Budweiser and Stella Artois
Sometimes watch rugby though so squarely upper class I think? :+1:

2 Likes

From the “Any Other Poor People” thread:

1 Like

Middle class, utterly no doubt. Family were pretty much always OK for money.

Is lower middle class still a thing? I always used to stay that’s what I was…parents were both service industry workers, plus I’m going into healthcare also.

Find the whole thing sadly full of inverse snobbery…with many people at pains to highlight their working class roots to avoid this.

1 Like

You’re still working class if you’re a nurse, wrongton, yeah.

1 Like

dunno. parents had shit jobs? somewhere in between working and middle?

Is it just down to career though…my parents were in similar careers to myself (a teacher and a careers advisor)…but were lucky enough to be buying a house in the late 80s…so they got themselves a lovely country house in Yorkshire. So it felt a bit dishonest to say we were still “working class”.

I’m a first class, worst class, no class, muthafukka.

1 Like