Ariel Pink (#ssp c/w physical/sexual abuse allegations)

In today’s world, if Bowie pulled that shit - praising Hitler/Fascism, sleeping with underaged girls - his career would be dead in the water and he wouldn’t have the chance to redeem himself. Could get a way with sort of thing in the 70s it seems.

4 Likes

some great backtracking going on in this thread

really classic stuff

1 Like

Dunno if that’s happened in this thread but I do find people saying they don’t like Ariel Pink’s (or Sun Kil Moon etc) music any more a bit weird. I’ve chosen not to listen to SKM since that revelation but it doesn’t effect how good I think the music is.

6 Likes

Yeah, I find it really unhelpful as someone who genuinely likes Ariel Pink and John Maus’ music and is left with this quandary to see people going "hurr hurr well I thought they sucked from the start hurr hurr’

21 Likes

I think latter-day Kozelek is a bit of a unique case because of how autobiographical it is, and how much of his personality is in the lyrics. Given the accusations, I’d find it impossible to go back and listen to all that.

3 Likes

I was never really into him thought Before Today was alright but, never had much of an opinion and I haven’t listened to that album in absolutely years.

What I have listened to is a fair bit of stuff that he has been involved with.

From wikipedia:

“After Pom Pom , Pink collaborated on a variety of projects by other musicians, including Weyes Blood, Dâm-Funk, Sky Ferreira, Charli XCX, Miley Cyrus, Theophilus London, the Avalanches, Puro Instinct, Lushlife, Mild High Club and MGMT. Pink and Weyes Blood jointly recorded the EP Myths 002 . It was released in January 2017 on the Brooklyn-based label Mexican Summer.”

I haven’t seen anyone condemn him beyond people taking the piss and Mexican Summer dropping him. Probably asking too much or maybe they extracted themselves from his orbit so long ago it doesn’t matter.

Well my point isn’t really attached to one singular artist. I just think there’s a difference between saying “the music that this artist made is now terrible” and choosing not to listen to them.

1 Like

Nite Jewel commented on it at length on Twitter.

9 Likes

Really neatly articulated a post I’ve started and binned off a couple of times today there.

1 Like

Thats why I keep on laughing when people involved in this are saying its a revolution. Pal you’re trying to protect the status quo

2 Likes

Abuse allegations now - I mean I can stomach an asshole but this - not so much

1 Like

“I began dating [Pink] in 2015, when I was 19 and [Pink] was 38,” the declaration by Coe continued. “It was a tumultuous relationship, characterized by a power imbalance: [Pink] was 19 years older than me; [Pink] was famous, and I was not; [Pink] was established in the music business, while I was just beginning my music career.”

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: exploitative old creep

To the SSP board with you Ariel Pink.

2 Likes

wonder if he knew this coming out would lead to him losing his audience so the trump rally was a way to gain the attention of a new fanbase, obviously he is also sincerely pro-trump based on his past statements but he must have known going to it would have been career suicide

1 Like

I thought he was mid 30’s for some reason. He’s the same age as James Corden and Usher.

I’m still trying to figure out if this person who’s all over everything on Twitter is actually his current GF who has some intense Pure Denial Stand By Your Man energy lashing out at anyone accusing the Darling Boyfriend (a type I have encountered before when this kind of thing goes down) or a very very intense Ariel Pink fan.

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 17.43.30

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 17.43.16

Ugh - his text message at the end of the pitchfork article.

This is your daily reminder that Nigel Farage is younger than Keanu Reeves.

2 Likes

He’s not - Farage is older by about 5 months, but what a difference those 5 months make…

3 Likes

Not relevant but rupaul is 9 years older than Jacob Rees-Mogg

3 Likes