Artists playing a song more than once in a set

Iggy Pop and the Stooges at ATP Nightmare Before Christmas in 2006 played I Wanna Be Your Dog twice. The only ATP I ever attended :disappointed:

1 Like

Oh, Yo La Tengo doing Ohm acoustic in the quiet set and electric in the loud set at the Barbican 2013 gig

3 Likes

i like the bit on at san quentin where johnny cash plays san quentin and the prisoners all like it so much they demand that he immediately play it again

4 Likes

Kneecap played HOOD twice when they headlined the Academy in Dublin which I thought was fair enough, they only had about 10 songs at the time and HOOD is a fuckin’ belter

1 Like

I was there and have no recollection of that…

…but U2 did it for an entire tour…

The funniest example for any gig I’ve ever attended though was this. The gig was at 10am, and Ezra from Vampire Weekend said “we’re going to be touring for months and this song will get played at every gig, so if we can do it three times in a morning then we can do it once per night”…

Yes:

(although they only played it 4 times in a row at the show I went to)

9 Likes

I was at the Strokes and Darkness sets mentioned and was wondering how I could have not noticed them doubling up on songs, so glad to see we’ve disproved that now.

1 Like

Sorry for causing you unnecessary concern

2 Likes

There’s the famous Neil Young Tonight’s the Night story (quote from Nils Lofgren):

We were playing an album that he wanted to turn people on to that hadn’t been released. He was an icon already in England, everyone expected to hear his hits and he played none of them. He played the record from beginning to end starting with ‘Tonight’s The Night’, finishing with ‘Tonight’s The Night’. And the English audiences really were not… okay with it. They started yelling a lot, they started booing, they started complaining, whining, every show. He’d get to the end of the night and he’d say, ‘Alright, we’re going to play something you’ve all heard before’. And everyone would go crazy thinking it would be some Buffalo Springfield hit or whatever, and then we’d play ‘Tonight’s The Night’ again.

21 Likes

Imagine moaning about hearing tonight’s the night twice.

3 Likes

I’m still convinced they played the really famous one at least twice. Plus they were barely able to get through one of the new ones (Hazel Eyes?) like they’d just written it that afternoon and then they had to pad out the encore with a fireworks display

Aware of this concept but don’t think I’ve ever experienced it

Two different versions of the same song is cool but otherwise nah

:woman_shrugging: tbh I don’t remember a thing about it, just felt I would have remembered if they had done a song twice. But it was a very long time ago.

Absolutely been at gigs where multiple bands played ‘bet you look good on the dancefloor’ but that doesn’t count

At an early incarnation of a local festival Snap! opted to play ‘Rhythm Is A Dancer’ twice in a set lasting less than half an hour. They also decided to let it play in full over the speakers right before they came on.

‘Are you serious?’ wondered about three hundred people in a muddy field. ‘As cancer’, replied Snap! excitedly.

Incredible banter

1 Like

5678s played their song twice

I saw Ian Brown at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1999 and he played ‘Billie Jean’ as the first song AND the last song…weird guy, weird gig.

1 Like

I think Kanye and Jay Z played that song five times in a row the time I saw them at the O2 and it was one of the best things I’ve ever seen anyone do live.

2 Likes

Kanye did the same thing with Love Lockdown to close the 808s tour before that, guess that’s where he got the idea.

It was a weird gig, sci fi concept about him crashing a space ship on a deserted planet. People really don’t talk about that one