Artists playing another artist’s album live

Inspired by

Ever seen such a thing?

Who do you think could make a good go of someone else’s work?

1 Like

Only instances I know of this happening are that potentially apocryphal Sun City Girls story and Xiu Xiu ruining the Twin Peaks soundtrack for everyone. On that basis I don’t think I’d be into this.

pretty sure i saw them do this at ATP one year? :thinking:

4 Likes

Oooh what’s this?

Primus have done it with a Rush album, as a tribute to Neil Peart.

Nice idea to be fair, and one of the few bands capable of

a) pulling that off and
b) putting their own spin on it.

1 Like

The Flaming Lips went through a stage of covering whole albums didn’t they, I imagine they did a gig but I can’t be arsed to check.

The Easy Star All Stars did a line in reggae covers of classic albums, again, can’t be arsed checking if they ever did them in concert

1 Like

Oasis doing a Cocteau Twins album would be good.

3 Likes

Was listening to an older Wave Pictures album that has a couple of Creedence tracks in the middle

Based on that I’d probably go and see them knock out Green River or Bayou Country in full

1 Like

Can’t remember exactly what the album was but they billed a gig as them playing a jazz album in full, possibly A Love Supreme. Apparently they came on, put a copy of the record on a turntable and pressed play and then left.

3 Likes

Lovely stuff.

Yeah I’ve seen The Smyths play Queen Is Dead in full, is that the sort of thing you’re after?

That twee Gene Clark band thing at End of the Road did this

2 Likes

Radiodread live was a decent night out

2 Likes

The Pizza Underground

5 Likes

Really like this tbh

1 Like

Reckon Tony Molina doing a full album/set of GBV covers would be great.

1 Like

Les Claypool doing the entirety of Pink Floyd’s Animals is nice:

Blitzen Trapper covering Neil Young’s Harvest.
Decent but like, why?

Pretty sure Courtney Barnett did INXS’s Kick. Think it might have initially been for a radio show or something and then she did it at a few festivals.

Rufus Wainwright did a very acclaimed recreation/reinterpretation of Judy Garland’s legendary Carnegie Hall concert in New York.

2 Likes