Artists where every album is better then the last

There is, but Let It Be lets it down.

Let It Down.

I personally think the Revolver/Sgt Pepper/Magical mystery tour was their creative peak. But even in the earlier albums, there seems a broad consensus that Beatles For Sale was inferior to its predecessor, A Hard Day’s Night, so that would further invalidate the claim of continual progression.

1 Like

The National up until the new one. Don’t @ me.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think there’s a genuine case for this. I don’t think any band/artist has achieved this.

Refused :smiley:

OH NO WAIT THEY RUINED IT! AT THE DRIVE-IN TOO! WHY COULDN’T THEY LEAVE IT ALONE

WAIT.

I think Kyuss.

nah last album isn’t quite as good as Sky Valley surely?

I really like it. A lot.

I agree with this tbf

the name is indeed dreadful. some of his best songs are on HPC (Many Lives is probably still my absolute favourites) but as albums/full bodies of work I think he’s got stronger and stronger.

1 Like

Konigsforst is my fave.

Rival Consoles for me, Clive. New one out soon too, hopefully will continue the trend but will have to go some to top Night Melody (mini album but whatevs.)

Never heard it. Really liked the compilation album Eternal Youth though which I’m guessing has some of those songs on it…

Yeah they are on there!

Interpol.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nirvana?

2 Likes

Midnight Juggernauts

Dystopia < The Crystal Axis < Uncanny Valley

but I know lots of the fans have the opposite opinion.

Progression is not all that surprising in bands with only a handful of albums, three or four. When their career stretches over many years though it’s a pretty tall order. Lineup changes are almost inevitable, and at some point the magic seems to run out and they start just repeating themselves by numbers.

With the notable exception, perhaps, of Tom Waits. Although he now seems to be totally dormant - 7 years since Bad as Me, although there was a 7 year gap between Real Gone and Bad as Me, so perhaps a new release is imminent? Wishful thinking; a wonderful thing …

Oh yeah that’s an an obvious one that can’t be tarnished

Protomartyr? Feels like it to me

8 Likes

All of those albums are great - no one has sustained a series of universally brilliant records for so long - but I don’t think you can say that each one is better than the one before. On that basis you’d have to say that Lodger was better than Low and Heroes and that Diamond Dogs is better than Hunky Dory and Ziggy. No way is that true.

1 Like