Artists who became so synonymous with a scene that it destroyed them

Blur and the Charlatans both carried over from the Baggy scene -“ there’s no other way “was a staple at the indie discos well before Britpop the term was coined

Still a Britpop band though

1 Like

Slowdive - Shoegaze, the NME and pricks like the manics helped end them as well though I guess.

2 Likes

The Libertines?

Feels like they sort of started a thing, were the biggest thing in the thing, then imploded under the weight of the thing.

3 Likes

They didn’t finish Slowdive, but put them on an extreme hiatus. Thankfully they eventually came back strong.

4 Likes

The thread is ‘artists that were so synonymous with a scene that it destroyed them’

I’m saying that blur, Pulp, Suede & others are for me (‘cos, y’know …I was there) synonymous with a scene that predates Britpop and that the popularity of these bands (to a greater or lesser degree) outlasted Britpop. They are thus, despite being clearly part of the Britpop landscape, not solely confined to the tag Britpop - unlike several other bands (mentioned upthread) who don’t exist at all outside of Britpop

It’s not that hard to understand the nuance

2 Likes

Well they finished them prematurely for 25 odd years.

Inspiral Carpets? Soup Dragons?

Happy Mondays?? Stone Roses???

Though not sure it was synonymity with the scene that destroyed them, more that they imploded / seemed to do bugger all after the scene died.

Keane - Aggressive Indie Rock

Jesus Jones

Aren’t people saying that Blur, Pulp, Oasis and Suede are the exceptions to the rule?

That ‘pretty much every Britpop band’ were so synonymous with the scene that it destroyed them, apart from those four?

No, Theo said blur, Pulp & Oasis

Someone else brought up Suede, there was a poll and comments about whether Suede were Britpop or not, I put forward my contention, as outlined in 3 or 4 posts now that, if you were around and going to gigs in 90-92 you’d understand these acts as synonymous with a different wave of bands and as pre- and post- dating Britpop

Please don’t make me type out the same thing a 5th time

Radiohead

• Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

PJ Harvey

• Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

Chemical Brothers

• Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

Teenage Fanclub

• Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

I have forgotten the source of this reference…

Chemical Brothers - Britpop-adjacent

3 Likes

Fatboy Slim - Big Beat.

3 Likes

I was in New York in 1998 and Fatboy Slim & The Chemical Brothers were being marketed there as Britpop

There’s definitely a case for classing the Chemical Brothers as Britpop, even though the music was electronic rather than guitar based. Certainly in the UK they had a similar fanbase, TFI Friday presence, Noel on guest vocals etc.

2 Likes

Some more

Reef
  • Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

James
  • Britpop
  • Not Britpop

0 voters

Kula Shaker
  • Britpop