Artists who could make a killer Best Of album but have failed to

Eminems 2nd greatest hits is awful btw - and there is enough passable/good material there to make a decent 2nd greatest hits but by god did they chose the absolute worst cuts off of his worst albums

Oh god I fucking love this

2 Likes

trademarks that title :smile:

Adamski & Seal

8 Likes

Much as I have enjoyed Coldplay at times, when I did my own version of a greatest hits for them I was so bored by the end of listening to it that I never wanted to listen to it again.

9 Likes

Life is healing.

Probably my two favourite compilations are Death to the Pixies (sequenced like an album) and Smashing Pumpkins’ Rotten Apples (in chronological order), and both of them work perfectly.

In conclusion: no idea.

2 Likes

Spoon

1 Like

Parquet Courts not even messin

2 Likes

Increasingly of the opinion that the Hartnolls can’t tell the difference between good Orbital (which is truly wonderful) and bad Orbital (which is embarrassing novelty trash).

3 Likes

Low

4 Likes

The Replacements. Think it might be quite hard to get a general consensus on what their best 10-12 tracks are though

1 Like

Alex Chilton, Bastards of Young +10

2 Likes

Double CD minimum for the Spoony boiz imo

2 Likes

Taking a look at it now The U2 1990-2000 one is a mess. Imagine not putting Lemon on that.

1 Like

PJ Harvey
In the sense that she’s never released one

4 Likes

Reckon when Hot Chip gets round to putting out a best of they’ll balls it up somehow, consider this a preemptive strike

5 Likes

Slight variation on the thread but from a selection of my favourite bands:

Haven’t bothered and probably wouldn’t work:
My Bloody Valentine (Loveless needs to be listened to as a whole although could be an amazing comp from outside of that - the EPs collection alone is great)
Explosions in the Sky (albums need to be listened to as a whole)
Mineral (not quite enough material)
Sigur-Ros (see EITS)

Haven’t but could work very nicely
Catherine Wheel (would be very early material heavy though)
Madder Rose
Buffalo Tom (though the A-sides singles collection is superb)
Low (could be incredible and should be chornolgical i think)
Cranes
Superchunk
The National (not quite a favourite band but could be very intriguing best of and i suspect mine might look quite different to theirs)
The Chameleons
Grandaddy
The Walkmen

Have and its a worthy enough summation:
Slowdive (although pre-reformation means its an incomplete picture and could be even better)
Pavement (though a double cd would have covered more interesting ground)
Ride (though a double comp with one or two from the later albums would be good)
The Go-Betweens
Underworld
Dinosaur Jr (though would love a disc 2 from the 00s on and would be intrigued by the picks)
Galaxie 500
Simon and Garfunkel (The Essential is so well curated its arguable you need nothing else)
The Sound

Have but its not a good enough representation
Radiohead (though it was not of their making)
Talk Talk (for the reasons I stated for EITS not sure this works)

3 Likes

Apologies I read it wrong.

I think a great live album (like Shut Up and Play the Hits) would be better than a greatest hits for Hot and the Chips