Artists Who Influenced Other Terrible Artists

Sorry I have to argue. Nirvana were not the only good ‘grunge’ band.

6 Likes

Not a fan of grunge generally myself, have always found Nirvana to be more informed by punk and noise-rock influences whereas most grunge bands are just classic rock but in a flannel shirt.

(I guess Mudhoney are alright tbf)

1 Like

The songwriting is what really sets Nirvana apart from all those other bands. You’d could tell that Kurt was going to be different from most of the people in those other bands because of the artists he covered/raved about - Melvins, The Vaselines, Daniel Johnson, Bowie etc. He was never going to be fronting a conventional rock band with those sort of influences.

1 Like

Yellow is basically the middle bit of Fake Plastic Trees

1 Like

Also ‘Here’ by Pavement

Yes i see what you mean.

I like some of Coldplay’s material, but I never understood the appeal of “Yellow”.

Hmm well Thursday released Full Collapse just 5 months after Relationship so had presumably written most of it before ROC dropped, and had released an album before then. And Full Collapse is bettet

But other than that, good point!

3 Likes

Refused

I don’t disagree with this categorization at all, but I think that the “classic rock” grunge bands are much, much better than their classic rock influences.

Blink 182 and Green Day inspired loads of dreck. Say what you want about those two bands, but hundreds of lesser ones tried to make a living doing what they did (and sometimes did make that living) but failed to come anywhere close to their talent for melodies and tightly written songs.

Simple Plan, one of the more successful of those bands, was THE WORST.

1 Like

That “Wherever You Will Go” song by The Calling inspired all subsequent music of any genre, and none of it has held a candle, tbpfh.

Interpol were responsible for Editors, who weren’t that bad (on the first album at least), but they just weren’t anywhere near as good as Interpol.