As a longtime Android and Windows user will I feel restricted if I shift over to a Mac?

Don’t think I’ve used a 3rd party virus scanner or firewall on Windows since Windows 7 came out.

1 Like

I was going to say I only switched to a Mac 8 years ago because I was sick of going through window laptops every 3 years. Not convinced this Mac is going to last the 8 years my last one did though.

1 Like

It’s only stuck a few times tbh, it’s just the fact it’s generally much much worse than my ten year old model that irks me

1 Like

Also lack of magsafe and usb-c are a pain.

Yeah, it’s a terrible design. Keep that in your back pocket in case it gets worse.

Have you upgraded to OS 11 yet? I got a big boost from doing that, and it also magically found loads of extra hd space on my laptop.

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting it to make such a big difference- I think it got rid of some old imported settings etc that were slowing things down.

1 Like

Mate of mine has a 2020 macbook and it feels like it is about three years older than my bullet proof 2021 macbook pro

Like probably most people I grew up using Windows; it’s almost muscle memory at this point. It’s just so familiar and therefore easy. I don’t know how long it would take to build that knowledge up on a new OS, and I cba tbh.

I could get a Mac through work but I know there will inevitably be something that doesn’t work quite right etc and the extra hassle it would cause. I use a lot Excel and I know the Mac version is not great.

I have had a Mac and never felt like I really knew how to get the most out of it. The hardware is really nice, love their trackpads, and the build quality is fantastic. It does integrate nicely if you have other Apple devices too. I get the appeal but for practicalities sake I just stick with Windows.

1 Like

MacOS is crap, but you can install Windows on a Mac and make it an OK machine.

Not sure about the new ones with Apple’s own processors though.

I use a Mac w/MacOS for work & the rate they wear out means I’ve had to have a new one off them every year so far.

1 Like

Nope - BootCamp isn’t supported on the new hardware and Windows can’t be licenced for the new chips. The only likely route for Windows on Mac in future is VMWare/Parallels.

1 Like

What do you prefer about android phones? I’m thinking of getting a Samsung S21 Ultra mainly because it’s waaaay cheaper than any of the new iPhone models and I get some freebies with it too, but I’ve been an iPhone user for 10 years.

Macs are obviously integrated extremely well into the whole ‘having an iphone/iPad’ thing so I find the combo of a MBP & iPhone XS max is great

spent years using windows and much prefer OSX (though I have a soft spot for the straightforwardness of Windows XP) but it’s not hard to switch between them or the proprietry office software or whatever

couldn’t imagine using anything but an iPhone now after all these years - iOS is a joy

bought my teenager one of the new M1 Airs for Christmas. It’s frankly fantastic

1 Like

I particularly enjoy being able to Cmd+C something on my laptop and then Cmd+V it on my phone or vice versa :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just press Fn + Backspace

1 Like

Always been a windows person - recently got given a macbook for work and its fine

everything works but i MUCH prefer windows to ios.

It can do all the things windows does but mostly hidden behind shortcut keys

eg I cant CUT and item and then PASTE it into another window

I have to COPY it then do some annoying shortcut that PASTES it whilst removing the original

That said if you were using it for things that are a bit finnacky (audio daw or editing software) then macs do just work as all the insides are pretty much the same , lots of variables on windows systems

in short - stick with windows

2 Likes

I can’t remember exactly what it was tbh, sorry that’s not helpful but it’s just been little things that neve felt right compared to android. I’ve had about 3 iPhones and Samsung have always come out on top for me.

1 Like

Bet macs are great with Ableton and other DAWs and don’t fuck up the drivers constantly, force you to try randomly try other USB slots and mess about with the buffer size to get the latency down. Sounds like a dream

2 Likes

Can’t imagine going to record and everything just works first time, if I was loaded this would easily be worth a grand or two.

1 Like

it’s amazing when you tell long time mac users to double-tap the fn button

1 Like