Ask marckee

Current machine: two connections - a red thin pipe and a grey tube. Red pipe screws on to a water pipe. Grey tube just sort of flops into an upright white plastic u-pipe.

New machine: same two connections (I believe) - the delivery men had been paid for installation but took one look at the white pipe and freaked out. Tried to trace it through the wall but there’s kitchen cupboards on the other side so couldn’t, and said they’d never seen anything like it so didn’t want to install the new machine.

They said they’d never seen pipework like ours before so a plumber would have to take a look before they could install it.

In terms of connections then it’s just like for like but yeah it’s weird where that waste pipe is going!

1 Like

You need to find out where that white waste pipe is going. It should be going to a drain, not a vent.

If it goes to a drain, then that’s typical, and the installer is talking out of his arse.

1 Like

Thanks and to @jont2001! This is what the piping outside looks like, landlord is pretty sure the white pipe leads to these.

The current machine would need the waste water going to a drain anyway, right?

It would.

Are you sure that the installer wasn’t talking about the supply pipe?

That’s usually blue to indicate that it’s supplying cold water. Red pipes usually indicate that it’s hot water. Washing machines heat their own water these days, so need to be connected to a cold supply

Hmmm, he didn’t say anything about the red pipe no, it’ll surely be a cold feed despite the colour cos the current machine is only a few years old and doesn’t use the boiler?

He didn’t like the white one because he couldn’t immediately see where it went and it’s inaccessible the other side due to kitchen units.

Yeah I guess that it’ll be cold feed and they just used whatever hose they had to hand but worth running the taps and checking it’s definitely coming from the cold feed. I imagine a modern machine will throw an error if it’s plumbed to the hot but not sure so worth checking just to be 100%

Sounds like the fitter was lazy. Pretty clear the waste will be coming through to that pipe work on the outside.

1 Like

Hi marckee, you may remember me from starting this thread and asking a question about when in its cycle does a dishwasher release its tablet back in Sep '18.

Well I have a new question. We have a couple of damp patches in our smallest bedroom ceiling after particularly cold nights, nearest the outside wall. We had the gutters cleaned maybe about 6 months ago so don’t think that is the issue. What should our next course of action be? Thanks.

I think the best course of action is to check/confirm a few things:

• do you dry washing in this room?
  • do you have ventilation to this room (eg trickle vents in the windows, or leave the door open)?
  • has the room been plastered recently?
  • have you had the radiators on in the room?
  • have you had a look in the loft above the bedroom? Look for a lack of insulation, or water ingress through poor pointing/flashing, or lack of ventilation (there should be 25mm around the perimeter if the insulation is at ceiling joist level).

Thank you.

• do you dry washing in this room? No
  • do you have ventilation to this room (eg trickle vents in the windows, or leave the door open)? Door left open in the day
  • has the room been plastered recently? no (was surprised at the condensation in the porch after plastering and thought we were fucked but all gone now).
  • have you had the radiators on in the room? Not much. Maybe twice.
  • have you had a look in the loft above the bedroom? Look for a lack of insulation, or water ingress through poor pointing/flashing, or lack of ventilation (there should be 25mm around the perimeter if the insulation is at ceiling joist level). Yeah this is what needs to be looked at but the corner of the loft is not that accessible and as a BURMA I fear for the safety of myself and the house. I guess it is ok to chuck a six year old up there.

Hi @marckee, a little update for you on the stopcock sitch.

I totally forgot to test it until Sunday morning, the day before the bathroom fitter was due to start.

Obviously I tried to turn it and it was completely solid.

I sprayed it with WD40 then read that that is the worst thing to do, as the issue is not rust or corrosion, it’s typically limescale within the tap. All I’d done was make it more slippery to handle.

But I waited ten minutes then tried it again with a pair of pliers. Got it to budge a fraction, then slowly worked it back and forth until it was running okay. It turned off the water.

My wife did not kill me, but it was looking very much like she would for a while.

can you find that thread where it would be funny if a reply was to the post above it pls, i don’t know what to search for

I tried to find it earlier as well, and couldn’t. I wanted to use it for this combo:

5 Likes

:grinning: that’s exactly what i was going to post

1 Like

:smiley:

Maybe @ma0sm knows?

What’s that green bird i just saw, a bit like the london ones but bigger?

A Ring Necked Parakeet?

Correct! Thanks. So pretty much the same thing, i guess.