August 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

he put these on Mubi so its a bit odd hes made a separate site.

I really liked Shanty Tramp though

I suppose this site is free, and there’s loads of extra ‘curated’ shit to read too (and he can put his name to it and have idiots like me thinking how great, generous and wonderful he is for doing it). I should probably start checking the mubi thread though

ah fair, I didnt know it was a thing so thanka for the tip

The unhinged replies to this are great

https://twitter.com/FilmClickbait/status/1028322408845869056

Watched Journeyman last night. Loved it

@bugduv you seen it?

Aye. I think it’s the best boxing film i’ve seen.

:+1:t2:

Thought you’d like it

Back when I could afford myself the luxury of a public twitter I slagged off Snyder after having watched the utter fucking brain injury that is sucker punch. Didn’t tag him obviously cause I’m not a twat but the guy retweeted me anyway maybe hoping for a fan boy pile on. It did not materialise.

And that is my Snyder story.

1 Like

I don’t understand what any of that means

Am I out of touch?

1 Like

Oh man, what an excellent film to watch in the cinema on a Sunday evening. Perfect. Am jell.

1 Like

I watched The Cloverfield Paradox last night. Random thoughts

• Spoilers: the arm bit was pretty funny tbf, the last shot was fucking stupid
  • It’s frustrating bc I think there’s a decent film in there somewhere, buried underneath all the random shit they threw in there.
  • Also frustrating because, in inexplicably trying to force it to be a Cloverfield film, they throw out everything that was interesting about Cloverfield (the small scale and little details in the original, which I’m a big fan of [as well as the second one]) and replace it with some totally standard “oh no, we shat our pants in space and made a monster come out” sort of thing. It’s like the problems coming from Prometheus trying to be an Alien prequel but with the redundancy turned up to eleven

i dont thnk I have disliked a character more than Chris O’Dowd’s in that

2 Likes

watched last night The Last Boy Scout. an utterly ridiculous film from the very first scene, but you kind of just go with it anyway, which is always a good sign. one of the all-time great child actor performances as well from Danielle Harris.

2 Likes

v disappointed with that meg report. how you gonna take a concept as foolproof as the stath vs shark and make it boring? will watch it anyway obvs but man, what a let down

That’s a Shane Black script, isn’t it? Bought on spec off the back of his Lethal Weapon work. Great opening scene.

1 Like

yeah apparently his original script was much darker with less comedy. still laughing at ‘eat shit, redneck!’

https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/1028367700941303808

2 Likes

watched The Canyons. yeah its really bad

Unfriended: Dark Web - Good stupid fun. Possibly more stupid than the first one but also more fun than the first one too? I genuinely think, despite it being a huge gimmick, the craft of being able to create compelling drama via a desktop screen is really impressive. The way it draws your eyes to certain parts of the screen etc must require so much planning and thought. It’s a very stupid film but I had a good time with it.

Dog Days - Look, I don’t care how shit a film is, if it’s got a scene with a wise old man giving his dog away to an adorable little girl I’m going to fucking weep ok?

Really enjoyed this yesterday (my fears of turning up to a kid’s film alone on a Sunday morning were unfounded when the only other person in the cinema was a man in his 20s)

2 Likes