August 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

is Inside Man good? never seen it

EDIT: it’s on Amazon Prime - gonna give it a watch

25th Hour and Inside Man are the two good ones he’s done since 2000 (prior to BlacKkKlansman anyway)

1 Like

I never saw Inside Man but it’s good to see this new one is getting hype; 97% on RT etc.

Actually the last thing i saw of his was this, which was amazing he really does make a fantastic rock doc

yeah i think the last thing I saw of his was When The Levees Broke which I remember being a pretty impactful documentary

Watched Deep Blue Sea last night in preparation for The Meg. Bit rubbisher than I remember it being but still solid cheesy fun. The bit where Samuel L Jackson gets eaten is a genuine surprise and top notch moment.

Is that the one with LL Cool J and his parrot? It’s one of the greats! Kinda makes me sad that a lot of bad films are knowingly bad now - takes some of the fun out of it!

2 Likes

Yes!

It is particularly good with regards to the surviving characters being in really good moods and making wisecracks at the end, just seconds after their friend died.

2 Likes

Wasn’t the original ending Saffron Burrows’ character survives as well, but test audiences wanted her killed off, so they changed it - maybe the wisecracks were meant for the original ending!

Ah that wouldn’t be surprising at all because the death scene really comes out of nowhere. Still you think Thomas Jane and LL Cool J would be pretty torn up about Michael Rapaport who is portrayed as their best mate. Very amusing stuff.

“Outstanding achievement in popular film”

Ooh boy

I liked Chi-Raq more than most people. It was pretty uneven, tho.

That is very clumsily phrased isn’t it. What kind of measure will define popular film? U.S. gross?

1 Like

It’s bizarre. I’m guessing it’ll just end up being “The Academy concession to genre pictures” in practice

Feel like they could just call it the Marvel Award as it seems destined to be something like Black Panther or Infinity War that wins this

1 Like

Aye, possibly. I’m guessing it’ll be their way of making sure they never have to nominate anything like Get Out again

Surprise surprise, Eigth Grade, which the whole internet is raving about doesn’t haven’t a UK release date yet :upside_down_face:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1027147734078377984

6 Likes

Not sure about your second spoiler - I agree a LOT of films would generate false conflict there, but I can equally think of a good number of screen dads that would be very unstanding, kind and decent in that scenario. Wouldn’t be the same as the genuine empathy the dad in CMBYN has, but it’s still something.

Not to shit on your fav film at all, I just felt that film got incredibly praised for doing things that I’d seen before. It wasn’t as unique as I’d been lead to believe, though it was still pretty great so I’m arguing over literally nothing.

I guess my issue with the dad bit is that he couldn’t just be happy for his son without some massive revelation that he also once had feelings for a man, but beyond that that those feelings were so intense he almost wishes he hadn’t married Timmy’s mum (or at least that’s what I got from it) - it just seemed a bit too far the other way, like he was only happy for him cos he could conveniently completely empathise - still, nitpicking, good film peach scene still gross tho

i didn’t think that “reveal” was presented as a bombshell or anything, or even meant to be taken as anything surprising. thought that scene was amazing tbh.

3 Likes