August 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

Absolutely - his speech was one of total understanding and support and it was refreshingly honest and vulnerable, especially coming from a parent. I feel like the film was very candid about a lot of uncomfortable things really. The peach scene was a part of that too. I also think it’s an important film in that it will encourage a lot of tormented people to find the bravery to be more aligned with themselves.

2 Likes

We can all agree that Michael Stuhlbarg is always great at least

6 Likes

Still can’t believe he didn’t win the Oscar for A Serious Man, didn’t even get a nom!

1 Like

Wasn’t nominated for Call Me By Your Name either :frowning:

He was great in it but I did not love that film

My husband who used to be a witness told me he’d met “a hundred Stevens” - its very common for new members of the congregation to try to pair up with a sister quite promptly. Eurgh.

Fire and Ice, 1983 high fantasy barbarian cartoon directed by Ralph Bakshi (who also did the pretty bad Lord of the Rings cartoon, which I remember more fondly than I probably ought to) in collaboration with Frank Frazetta (nothing to do with GRR Martin though). But christ - it’s dubious in so many ways, gender politics (99% of characters, human or otherwise, are wearing very revealing loin cloths and not just the women, but still…) and race stuff (the ‘subhuman’ bad guys), not to mention the story being cliched drivel. This kind of shit is why fantasy has a bad name! I suppose the animation (or rotoscoping) is quite enjoyably dated at least.

Robert Rodriguez is apparently signed up to make a live action remake too!That will no doubt be only slightly less terrible if it ever does emerge, but I would probably watch it anyway

i can’t remember whether it had been spoiled beforehand but the moment he starts that speech i could see it coming.

Distant Voices Still Lives is having a 4k restoration next month. Its in my top 10 ever and if you have a chance to see it on a big screen, don’t waste it.

exciting new sonic the hedgehog news

1 Like

Went to see the Teen Titans movie and it was genuinely brilliant. It’s about half totally on-point jokes about superhero movies and half really weird pop culture references that I have no idea how kids will understand. Plus, Will Arnett voicing the bad guy, and the best songs since the Lego Movie.

i listened to the radio 5 review and it seemed like itd be perfect for people, dunno why its not got such a big response

Apparently Idris Elba as James Bond is back on the table

Hmm.

• I would watch a new Bond film regardless of who it is
  • I don’t like Bond but I’d watch it with Elba in
  • No matter who’s in it they’ll still be films I won’t enjoy
  • IIIIIIIIIIIIDRIIISSSSSSSS ELBAAAAAAAAAAH charges into combat leaving the rest of your party discussing tactics

0 voters

Idris Elba will be pushing 50 by the time the next next Bond comes out. I want someone young.

1 Like

Tom Cruise has made two MI films since he passed 50. Liam Neeson’s in his 60s and still doing that shit. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Tom Cruise is an exception and Liam Neeson looks creaky. But that’s besides the point. I just want something a bit fresher than a 50 year old guy running around shooting guns and seducing women. Love the Daniel Craig era but think the changes they made with a more dynamic Moneypenny and younger Q could be matched in the casting of a new Bond.

1 Like

I assume they’re not about to radically change the formula so an older middle-aged suave man is really what the role needs. This is always going to be ‘one for the dads’ on so many levels.

Sean Connery was 32 when he first played Bond - there’s no reason why a new Bond couldn’t be that kind of age again.

That was considered a lot older in 1962 though.

I watched Western and it is brill.

3 Likes