August 2018 Film DiScussion Thread

I’m just really confused as to why Ken Marino has directed it.

1 Like

I cannot confirm this. Instead there is an earnest cover of ‘Who Let The Dogs Out’ which is being performed live by the band Frunk at the charity event for a new doggy-rescue centre location. The band Frunk is Adam Pally’s character’s musical project and were going nowhere until he had to look after his sister’s dog Charlie (the best dog in the film) which taught him about responsibility and applying himself to something.

5 Likes

The Citizen Caine of weepy dog movies

2 Likes

Does Gere try to stuff Hachi up his bum?

3 Likes

If he did, it occurs tastefully offscreen. And apparently the dog liked it.

Free screenings of Searching in London cinemas on Wednesday

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/5-reasons-to-get-excited-about-searching

www.seeitifirst.com and enter code: K6MXTV

another hot take about this film - i love sufjan to death but i found the use of his music a bit… trite in this film

1 Like

What did you think of the film?

I liked it. Maybe I could/should have cared about the characters more and the final scene should have been more “celebratory” but nonetheless liked the film. 8/10.

I type this at The BFI bar with a pint. Two women in front of me at the bar absolutely hated the film and were complaining that that’s two hours of their lives that they won’t get back.

First time ever, I had to leg it out of the cinema when the film started. I was browsing my emails in my seat before the film started and got one from The ICA that Michael Stipe is doing a Q&A in a few weeks. I had a ticket in my in box when the lights went down. I had to quickly step out to complete the purchase. I know, I know…not a cool story…but I got my ticket.

Great evening overall.

Really enjoyed this. Cool seeing it on a huge screen, with all the multiple windows of stuff going on through quite a lot of it, added to the disconcerting effect it had anyway.

Out of interest, I’ve read that it’s being circulated with two endings. Which one did you get? I had the one where Matias is hit by the van, but apparently he gets buried alive in the other.

(Annoying there was a group of about 30 teenagers in mine who just talked throughout. And a guy next to me who, if he wasn’t explaining what had just happened on screen to his girlfriend, was asking her what had just happened. Ugh.)

same ending you need, did hear about the other though, think thats US only maybe?

Ah I posted about the Stipe talk in the R.E.M. thread a few days back, keep up :wink:

I liked it but didn’t love it. As you hinted at, the characters weren’t fleshed out enough and if you’re going to have a plot device like having someone try to end their life then I need to care about that character. Also felt like Sasha Lane was wasted but that might be because I’m still thinking of that performance in American Honey (possibly a bit too old to play that age too?).

I know she said in the Q&A that she only focused on the last 1/3 of the book and that makes more sense in terms of the depth it goes into. Was pleased they were giving the book out as will definitely read it based on tonight,

I’m being overly negative when I did actually like it and and admired that the ending was more “so what now?” rather than jubilant. Perhaps my expectations were just too high after Appropriate Behaviour which I rank as one of my films of the decade.

Liked the Breeders joke, too!

1 Like

Appropriate Behaviour is simply brilliant.

Coincidentally, I was wearing a Breeders t-shirt tonight. Gave me a sense of total accidental cool.

I’m a member of The ICA. Those gits didn’t tell me anything of the Stripe thing until around 6pm today. I’ll keep up with your posts here. You’re in the know. Are you going to the Stipe Q&A at The ICA?

(Sorry to go on about it but running out for one minute to complete my ticket purchase was the best small decisions I’ve made. The usher at the cinema quite rightly thought I was a moron.)

1 Like

Guys, it turns out Ain’t It Cool still looks like this

And here it is in 2000

Fuck me.

Can’t make the Stipe talk for the incredibly hip reason that I have to go to a christening!

Just watched this (in a surprisingly busy but still quiet cinema) - the other ending sounds way better! I did have a lot of fun with it, though.

1 Like

Europa - may be one of my favourite von Trier ones

Thrilled by this news, flatly one of the greatest films ever made, reissued at cinemas in September in 4K. It pretty much lay unloved and unreleased for years in the 90s until it went a reappraisal in the 00s and has been popping up on ‘Top 10’ lists ever since.

No idea who makes these BFI trailers but I think they’re amazing

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/thedameupstairs/status/1029037411609784321

Explained here

Although I’m a bit surprised as I don’t really see why you couldn’t do this as a single take at once. Maybe it’s a focus thing?

Then someone posted this which is mind-blowing (from Contact apparently) - not sure why the gif in this Tweet isn’t showing but click through and watch it a couple of times:
https://twitter.com/maggsterini/status/1029375783200907264

4 Likes

This is playing tonight at the Prince Charles for £1. Should I go?