August 2018 Politics Thread

I think he’s kind of got a point there. If the complaint is unjustified, play the ball, not the person. If it’s actually reasonable, then the fact that it might be being made in bad faith is completely irrelevant and only serves to give the impression we don’t care about the underlying issue

(Obviously there’s a spectrum for these things…)

3 Likes

Have read this multiple times and no idea what you’re saying

edit - oh thought you were replying to the Peston tweet.

Anyway, the reason for the James Bloodworth tweet is cos of Abi Wilkinson’s Finkelstein/Andrew Neil stuff. Which is all completely justified. People will come to see the idea of ‘whataboutery’ in the same vein as ‘political correctness’, as something to redefine goodness as badness, up as down, wet as dry etc. Moral consistency is the fundamental basis of morality itself.

3 Likes

Did we all enjoy Saudi Arabia threatening to 9/11 Canada today

Classic bit of whataboutery I know, but imagine the front pages if Iran had posted something like this.

3 Likes

it’s no good calling labour an antisemitic party if you’re complicit in spreading other forms of prejudice. which almost all the pundits lobbing around accusations of antisemitism are.

also, he’s having a passive go at abi wilks for demonstrating that finklestein and neil are in bed with fascists. fuck him tbh.

Reminded of this good thread i read earlier

Hate the word whataboutery.

Every time a read it written down i mentally say it in the voice of Glendenning with a capital aitch.

6 Likes

I mean, I don’t disagree with you, I just think in the case of Labour and anti-Semitism at the moment, it’s a completely counter productive thing to do - more harmful than helpful.

legit amazing they got away with the first one and now they’ve threatened to do it again to another country and it’s barely news

did you read that report in the guardian today :pensive:

kill off the people?

bit much. Sorry… Feeling pretty low about humanity today though.

Nothing, just get on with things is all you can do

have thought about starting a climate change thread but i dunno…i mean it’d basically be documenting our own mass suicide. duno if it’d be good for anyone’s MH.

6 Likes

was gonna do the same myself, but with the brexit thread, fascism thread and monthly politics threads I don’t know if I can take any more gloom.

1 Like

It’s just done isn’t it. Enjoy yourselves as it’s gonna go mad soon.
We’ve discussed climate change as a driver for the neo-liberal shift right and closing of the borders before.
Genuinely think that people know more than they’re letting on and it’s really really fucked

2 Likes

Everyone’s in a great mood this morning huh

CORBYN!

1 Like

The way these recent articles have been increasingly stating the idea that limiting global warming to 2 degrees may be too little too late…makes me think you’re right.

There’s still a long way to go to even convince certain powers to make the steps necessary to achieve 2. We are so far from what is needed right now

Does anyone remember that BBC (I think) drama from about a decade (possibly longer) ago where walls/hard borders went up to ‘protect’ Europe from African migrants moving North due to climate change? Seems pretty prescient now.

Alright Thanos.