August English Football League Thread

Thought we’d try and make this a monthly thing for those interested in teams outside the Premier League etc.

Here are the current bookies’ favourites for the forthcoming season:

CHAMPIONSHIP PROMOTION
Fulham - 15/8
West Brom - 21/10
Sheffield United - 23/10
Bournemouth - 10/3
Barnsley - 4/1

CHAMPIONSHIP RELEGATION
Blackpool - 9/4
Peterborough - 5/2
Huddersfield Town - 3/1
Bristol City - 7/2
Luton Town - 7/2

LEAGUE ONE PROMOTION
Sunderland - 9/4
Sheffield Wednesday - 5/2
Ipswich Town - 5/2
Charlton Athletic - 3/1
Portsmouth - 10/3

LEAGUE ONE RELEGATION
Morecambe - 11/10
Cambridge United - 6/5
Cheltenham Town - 6/4
AFC Wimbledon - 15/8
Accrington Stanley - 13/5

LEAGUE TWO PROMOTION
Salford City - 6/4
Bristol Rovers - 5/2
Mansfield Town - 11/4
Bradford City - 3/1
Exeter City - 16/5

LEAGUE TWO RELEGATION
Sutton United - 7/2
Scunthorpe United - 9/2
Barrow - 9/2
Hartlepool United - 5/1
Stevenage - 5/1

Predictions? Hopes? Fears? How have you done in the transfer market? Discuss it all right here!

1 Like

Think it’s a pretty poor championship this year. Assume we’ll start poorly but have enough about us to wind up in the top 6 again.

Surprised Colchester aren’t in the league 2 relegation odds there. Threadbare I think

1 Like

Hoping for a high mid-table finish from Argyle this season. The goal last year was to stay up so just need to build on that now. We’ve bought an entirely new defence which was much needed and the weakest part of our game last season so that’s encouraging.

Ryan Lowe is pretty secure in his job whatever happens so as long as we can hang onto him that’s good. Think we might have a very slim shot at the play-offs if we can put a consistent run together at any point unlike last year.

First games are Rotherham away, Gillingham home and Cambridge home; would be happy with 5 points from them as a starting point.

17/2 to go down, 5/1 to go up.

What’s the odds for the relegated prem clubs to go straight through the trapdoor to the 1st division?

Why aren’t derby favourites to go down. They’ve got no players and a points deduction hanging over them

Sheffield Utd are 25/1, West Brom and Fulham 33.

No odds for them to go down so I’m guessing nobody is taking that bet.

Sorry for all the gambling chat btw, just find that odds are a good way to gauge likely contenders at this stage.

Reckon sheff United could possibly implode. New manager, not a lot of quality in the squad

I’d have expected Sheff utd at least to be shorter than that. They looked absolutely shot last season.

1 Like

5/6 to go down

Yeah think it’s a foregone conclusion tbh. Interested to see how long they keep Rooney on.

League One is stacked with ‘big teams’ now isn’t it. Its like the Bundesliga 2.

Hope Sheff Utd fuck it and Wednesday come straight back up.

Those top 5 odds for the Championship is quite depressing. Not a looker in the bunch.

Bradford’s chances are overestimated every year in league 2 cos of us being a ‘big’ club, even though we rarely have the budget to match

feeling a bit more confident this season though based on the last couple of transfer windows + decent pre-season. probably need another striker.
haven’t followed the rest of the league closely enough to know how that stacks against the opposition

1 Like

7 ex-Prem teams in L1 this year (8 if you count Wimbledon), can’t remember there being that many before.

I fancy QPR for promotion this year. They finished strongly last season and they have a good manager.

Relegation, Swansea.

1 Like

Salford are favourites based purely on spending i guess. Have my usual thing with L2 of wanting Exeter to go up so we get a derby again, and wanting them to get relegated at the same time.

1 Like
11 Likes

and Rob Dickie