Australian favourites

It being Australia Day today, let’s celebrate by posting some of what you consider to be the best releases from Oz. Hoping most people will have at least one or two!

For starters, this one is from what I consider the golden age of Australian rock, i.e. the 1980’s. Goanna did two albums; the first was a massive hit, the second flopped. This song still gets plenty of airings, especially on January 26:

The remixer is British but Sia is Australian. Love this version:

Also these

Nick Cave
King Gizzard
Courtney Barnett
Dirty Three

I just said it in the other thread, but I just discovered Underground Lovers a month or two ago and they’re fantastic. I’m saving their early stuff for later, but their 2017 album Staring At You Staring At Me was great. Here are three songs that kind of show off different sides of them.

St. Kilda Regret

Glamnesia

Unbearable

@PaintyCanNed to thread! He recommended me a load of awesome Aussie bands last year :+1:

…and The Triffids are from right here - lil’ old Perth!

Many people here say that Perth punches above its weight music-wise… I don’t know if that’s just parochial pride, but it could be true. Perth bands have to work hard to get to the point where they are established anough to make a living from music; hopping across the country to play a venue in Melbourne or Sydney is not something to be undertaken lightly.

I’ve been listening the shit out of The Peep Tempel since he recommended them, fucking amazing band.

This classic:

He (presuming that he is a he - apologies if not!! ) a long list of about 20 bands last year that were similar in style to King Gizzard and Courtney Barnet so I’ve slowly been making my way through that - so much ace to explore! Sadly The Peep Tempel weren’t on there, what do they sound like?

Underground Lovers are not well known even in this country - though that could change if this album is any indication.

Another band who have been around a while but without most people knowing of them are Knievel. Frontman Wayne Connolly is better known as a producer; I have an idea he has produced the Underground Lovers, as well as more well-known acts like Jimmy B arnes and You Am I. This one os from Knievel’s most recent album:

I’ve heard OF the Peep Tempel but not actually heard them - there is some stuff on Youtube though, so have a browse.

PCN compared them to an Australian Future Of The Left and I didn’t quite see the link at first but after prolonged listening, I’ve decided that’s the best way of describing them.

Here’s one of their simpler, more cathartic songs with a great video.

Some TISM trivia:

(1) One of the members, Eugene Cester, is the uncle of the Cester brothers in the Australian band Jet. He is also uncle to singer Jayney Klimek, who has appeared on a couple of albums by Tony Banks. It’s all inter-connected you see.

(2) TISM are believed to have the song with the longest title to not contain the letter ‘e’. The full title of the track is:

“Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz… Untz…”.