Autechre

First listen of Plus was not good at all. Sounds to me somewhere between Untilted with 90% of the sounds removed, and the dreary interminable noodling of Elseq. Oh well, I love SIGN and won’t have to divide my attention.

Not really gelling with Sign. Feels like an awkward halfway house between early works of genuine melody and later works of generative complexity. Similar to Quaristice in that respect to me I suppose, which was touted as a return to melody at the time and left me cold.

I don’t dislike it per se, it just makes me want to listen to other Autechre instead.

1 Like

At the moment on one listen I like PLUS better than SIGN
Do you think there will be a third album?

SIGN PLUS Something = a triple album featuring all 3?

Bloody hope not, this has done my wallet no good at all!

1 Like

SIGN PLUS WINE (an album of pleasant, slightly glitchy Toploader covers)

Yeah. It’s just washed over me. The bits that are more conventional are harder to get into, if that makes sense

1 Like

Got it on now and I think Untilted is my favourite post-LP5 Autechre release. Perfect balance of groove and weirdness.

1 Like

There’s one track on exai that I think is the best thing they’ve ever done but I can never remember what it’s called as their track titles don’t make this exactly easy and it’s not always possible to wade through the whole thing to find it!

Bladelores surely?

2 Likes

I mean maybe? :man_shrugging:

Ditto!

Eldest is doing gcse revision. I think if I stuck autechre on right now they’d murderise me and rightly so.

3 Likes

Can you describe it at all? This seems like a fun guessing game.

yeah, it kind sounds like this

brreooDOOOPpippe ferrrown CRUNK zeerowpzeerop PUND PUND crrrriiiioooooooTHDUTHUD DUTH DTUH fleeeroppppzzzzzzszzzzBEBEBEBEBE drapppppoi seeerroin

5 Likes

i think i like it, but sometimes i think i think i like it more than actually liking it, which seems to match with a lot of AE’s work, tbh

3 Likes

It’s about 3/4 through I think. It starts with formless and sinister whooshing but then there’s almost like a beat drop? Not an actual 4/4 or anything like that but almost like if you squinted it would be a beat drop?

This one?

Oh another reason I don’t know which one it is… My vinyl box set of exai doesn’t have anything useful like “side a” /“side b” on each disc so often no idea which tracks in actually listening to or if they’re in the right order.

1 Like

Will check out next time I’m near some headphones or wrestle control of the stereo from my kids.

the side names are in the etchings of the run out grooves

1 Like