Author Susan Meachan faked her own suicide on FB (nothing graphic or explained)

Was half-tempted to put this in Serious Matters but at no point that I have seen are we told anything about the suicide itself which never happened.

that Rolling Stone article references this Twitter thread which I actually found a bit easier to make sense of

Anyway, this is fairly wild stuff.

1 Like

WB?

5 Likes

Yeah, main takeaway from this for me is that the online self-published book community is just as batshit as I would have guessed.

3 Likes

I mean given there was that time Anne Rice went nuclear on Amazon due to some negative reviews of her book and there’s that author whose publisher has to have two Christmas parties so they can exclude him from one and thus everyone has a good time, I’m gonna say published authors are probably just as wild :smiley:

Ooh cheers. I feel like I did read the A J Finn thing but don’t recall and I’m not sure I know the second one…I do remember reading at thing about people finding old out of print books that aren’t ebooks and just wholesale digitising them and then selling them on Amazon as their own books.

I’d find it hard to care or be angry about this tbh. It’s in poor taste, but sounds like she actually attempted suicide a couple of times (or did she!?) and ultimately it is just a messageboard on the internet so it doesn’t matter and nobody is owed anything :man_shrugging:

Think the people she defrauded out of the costs for her “funeral” would probably disagree with you there.

4 Likes

And of course the idea of blaming that community for bullying causing the suicide is wildly irresponsible.

1 Like

oh, didn’t realise she got them pay for her funeral…or marketed her books off the back of it. Now I am FURIOUS

5 Likes

some of these sorts of authors call up saying they’ll “let us” put a signing on for them.

One of them after being told no asked if we would be willing to finance her book, in return for “leaving you guys with signed copies which will within a few years more than reimburse your costs”.

That’s ballsy tbf, i kind of do love to see it

2 Likes

That author’s name? Charles Dickens.

7 Likes

we’re kicking ourselves. little dorrit alone would have paid our shop overheads for a year

1 Like

people jouhatsu all the time on dis but then just come back with a top hat and moustache on

7 Likes

ideally someone would have replied Hi CG

3 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF

7 Likes

This is on my listen to list:

2 Likes

i reckon if anything they should go harder. i’d commit fake suicide but then continue releasing books which gradually start to drop hints to the fact that i’d been murdered, and ultimately reveal the murderer (Theo) while announcing a Scandinavian tv adaptation.

2 Likes

Might fake a suicide so my shit threads get lots of “post humous” likes

4 Likes

This is why I don’t read books!

2 Likes

No it isn’t.

1 Like