Autumn Brexit Thread - The Yellowing

Good question, the campaign itself really just has two aims, extending article 50 and calling for a general election, the latter was added by Yanis Varoufakis following some fairly long-winded internal debate.

DiEM’s position on Brexit is to seek a Norway plus deal, I expect the campaign to attract people campaigning for a vote on the final deal and people campaigning to remain and probably other positions as well all of which are welcome.

And joined… the SDP?!

Yeah. Looks a lot less egregious than the People’s Vote campaign/ask so that’s appealing. Extending A50 seems a no brainer to me but calling for a GE is a lot less straightforward (and transparent let’s be honest) in terms of also the mechanism but also the potential result. What happens if there is one and the Conservatives are returned with an increased majority? (Far from impossible)

(Of course fully aware that absolutely no position/campaign re: Brexit is without its pitfalls/risks. That’s another reason why it’s so generally insidious).

As if it was possible to despise Cameron any more than we already did, the idea that any solution involving a general election is hampered INADVERTENTLY by some other piece of self-serving bullshit he came up with makes the flow of hatred even easier to maintain.

1 Like

wtf

Kiev’s anti-communists flirted with Nato

anti-communists needs gigantic air quotes around it and a neon sign saying ‘jenkins is using a euphemism here’

Jenkins hasn’t been taking his pills lately. It usually starts with his standard rant against teaching maths in schools and then rapidly escalates to the point where he’s comparing the EU to the Holy Roman Empire.

Hopefully he’ll go and have a lie down soon.

1 Like

Yes. He had no idea what door he was opening. No idea.

TWAT!

10 Likes

So the reason for the amendment came from the fact that the only way the EU would let us extend article 50 would be if there was a significant enough reason for doing so, in this case this would be establishing a government with a clear enough mandate to go through with the rest of the negotiations.

You’re certainly right in that the Conservatives could win a greater majority which is partly why the initial campaign was about the EU elections but the hope they’ll be enough dissent if Chequers doesn’t get passed to prevent that from happening.

2 Likes

he actually does touch on something very significant - NATO/EU/the west’s ongoing attempts to encircle russia militarily/politically, and i guess he deserves props for that, but at the same time it’s an offhand remark, with no follow up. massive blunder.

this is not me doing a contrarian/pro-russia thing again, btw, it’s just that the article is full of sleight of hand and euphemisms and the actual meat of the discussion is passed over completely. missed opportunity (again).

Russia’s treatment by the west following WWII is one of his other hobby horses. He seems to talk equal amounts of sense and bollocks at the best of times, and like you say he has a journalist’s eye for a intentional/unintentional controversial turn of phrase.

1 Like

Is he saying they’re “anti-communists” because they’re against Russia? Is he drunk or just stuck in the 1980s?

You’ve got right-wing oligarchs in Russia facing off against a fascist-leaning government in Ukraine - he’s not the only commentator who can’t get their head around the fact that it’s not a re-tread of the cold war and that ‘we’ should pick a side.

against russia, but also pretty much openly neonazi now. like marckee says, anything to do with eastern europe always gives western journalists brainworms. it is confusing tho, so i suppose we have to cut them some slack.

anyway i thought it was sort of relevant because jenkins raises a question about how the EU might play a more assertive role in the conflict with/without the UK.

tenor

2 Likes

There’s a statement on his website. Doesn’t like Tommy Robinson, basically

So, like many on the communitarian wing of the party, I have decided to join the resurgent SDP, which campaigned for Brexit during the referendum and espouses broad and moderate pro-nation state political values that I – and I believe many of our voters from 2014 – will be delighted to endorse.

Remember the SDP? They’re back! In moderate pro-nation state form!

1 Like

Tony Hawk’s moderate Pro nation state 4

21 Likes

That’s enough Ukraine/Russia chat in the Brexit thread, ta.

Can someone answer what @escutcheon asked about a May v Corbyn head to head that seems to be on the cards.

Presumably Corbyn would argue for his ‘jobs first Brexit’ thingy. But why?

If these numbers are anything close to correct, why would he get his hands dirty doing that?

411 against v 227 for. Sure, there’ll be MPs who cave in and side with May. But giving May a platform can surely only help that process.

A ‘May’s Brexit’ Vs Corbyn’s Brexit’ non-debate is a truly terrible scenario. Would totally legitimise Brexit’ at a time when the pressure from outside parliament should be for the whole thing to collapse.

Also, obviously, it’d be a disgrace to have only May and Corbyn facing off without substantial input from other party leaders.

Starmer is suggesting that the debate challenge had been made with one eye on a general election. Wouldn’t surprise me. Probably the best short-term outcome. But, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, unless Corbyn pulls an unlikely-looking U-turn and decided he’s up for campaigning a GE on the promise of cancelling this madness, we’d be reduced to cheering on Corbyn’s freedom-of-movement-ending version of Brexit as some sort of win.

Fuck this shitshow. Fire the starting gun, Nic.

5 Likes

Every empty warehouse should have to call up the family of a dead soldier

14 Likes

1 full warehouse = 1 respect

5 Likes