Autumn Brexit Thread - The Yellowing

the comment is absurd. also i’m sure you could probably find hundreds of holocaust and slavery jokes made by similarly left-leaning comedians in service of a broader point against the powerful. some of them will be good, some shit. i’m not one for the “comedian as prophet” thing tbh so i’m indifferent to the utility of “offensiveness”, but i did think boyle’s comment here was quite good because of my reasons above^

1 Like

think we will have to just disagree and leave it there I’m afraid

1 Like

ANNOUNCEMENT

We are now moving from the Red Brexit phase into the White Brexit phase. The entire Red, White and Blue Brexit is definitely going according to plan, we will move to Blue Brexit in the new year.

4 Likes

I remember a similar joke to this in Red Dwarf once. Made me laugh for days.

1 Like

Should have had Sean alter the colour scheme of the board, a real missed opportunity there.

1 Like

I think you could fairly easily say that this Boyle joke is simply a… Modest Proposal.

A Modest Proposal is a Juvenalian satirical essay written and published anonymously by Jonathan Swift in 1729. The essay suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food for rich gentlemen and ladies. This satirical hyperbole mocked heartless attitudes towards the poor, as well as British policy toward the Irish in general. The primary target of Swift’s satire was the rationalism of modern economics, and the growth of rationalistic modes of thinking in modern life at the expense of more traditional human values.

1729 - Nothing changes, eh? Going back further… and as a scholar of the Romans, @Bamnan , the Juvenalian satire thing might resonate with ya?

Juvenal disagreed with the opinions of the public figures and institutions of the Republic and actively attacked them through his literature. “He utilized the satirical tools of exaggeration and parody to make his targets appear monstrous and incompetent”. Juvenal satire follows this same pattern of abrasively ridiculing societal structures. Juvenal also, unlike Horace, attacked public officials and governmental organizations through his satires, regarding their opinions as not just wrong, but evil. Following in this tradition, Juvenalian satire addresses perceived social evil through scorn, outrage, and savage ridicule. This form is often pessimistic, characterized by the use of irony, sarcasm, moral indignation and personal invective, with less emphasis on humor.

Juvenal, Voltaire, Swift, Byron, Xamyatin, Heller, Huxley, Burroughs & Burgess… Morris, Brooker & Boyle.

3 Likes

maybe I just don’t agree with any satire at all these days. Also I personally don’t think Boyle has signposted this clearly enough as satire to me personally.

You’re saying Frankie Boyle has been too… subtle? :hushed:

If it were any more obviously OTT we’d have to deploy extreme measures along the lines of deleting the Heavy-handed Satire thread. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

it’s not about subtlety.

Forget it

definitely gonna be no deal isn’t it part #838737

with trevor eve

4 Likes

cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt

6 Likes

fucking hell

4 Likes

not exactly a big Galloway fan but glad he was there for that interjection.

these pricks like to think of Northern Ireland as a separate world they’ve accidentally inherited and have to put up with all its problems to the detriment of all their own wonderful plans, rather than have to acknowledge that all of those problems are a direct result of British action.

maybe if you didn’t want the border to cause such a problem you shouldn’t have bothered creating it in the first place lads?

6 Likes

Jesus wept!

Just saying the quiet part out loud.

1 Like

Talking of Ireland, did we see the tory mp the other day who thought British citizens were entitled to an Irish passport and vice versa (the common travel area was mentioned…)

5 Likes

of a no-deal?

Would like an option for “My opinion is unimportant since I don’t live there.”

9 Likes