B-sides etc albums

Any favourites?

Listening to Sonic Youth’s The Destroyed Room at the mo and it’s kinda ace.

Any artists where there’s a gaping hole in the discography where a b-sides etc album should go?

Mogwai for me.

2 Likes

A LifeTime of Temporary release compiling Low’s B sides and rarities is superb.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Could be in their top 3 albums, which is pretty amazing - not a weak song on it tbh, and has both huge fan favs (Math Equation) and underrated gems (Grey Ice Water)

7 Likes
1 Like

I think The Masterplan is a good one

9 Likes

Nobody’s First And You’re Next isn’t too shabby either.

3 Likes

Sci-Fi Lullabies

6 Likes

Lets hope the B-Sides album they plan to release shortly is as good as those 2!

There’s some great stuff on Bright Eyes’ Noise Floor.

8 Likes

Untitled Unmastered is really good

4 Likes

Yes great choice.

Los Campesinos! Whole Damn Body from last year was great. Don’t know if Carly Rae Jepsen’s Side-Bs count because they’re whole original albums, but they’re both amazing. Got a lot of time for R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office as well

2 Likes

Advance Base Battery Life is probably my third favourite Casiotone for the Painfully Alone album

Uncollected by Galaxie 500 has some nice stuff on it

4 Likes

Going to beat @TAFH33 to it and say Pisces Iscariot by Smashing Pumpkins.

11 Likes

woah didnt know about this

Beautifully sequenced too, works really nicely as whole.

3 Likes

in the spirit of rarities/b-side albums which are among a band’s or artist’s best work, see also Tom Waits - Orphans and Tarwater - Not The Wheel.

Carter’s Starry-Eyed and Bollock-Naked was a damn good compilation.

So was 0.522 by Ned’s Atomic Dustbin (so called because the discs apparently cost £5.22 per unit and that’s how much shops were allowed to sell them for)

1 Like

Another endorsement for the aforementioned ‘Sc-fi Lullabies’.
Pet Shop Boys ‘Alternative’ is a great collection of mid-80s electro, through to early 90s hyper-pop. Tracks like ‘Paninaro’, ‘Do I Have To?’, ‘Hey, Headmaster’ and ‘Shameless’ are up there with their a-sides.

3 Likes