BA Computer disaster

It’s fine. I was both too subtle and buggered by tag reordering.

5 Likes

We flew back via BA the day before. Thankfully we weren’t one of the ones affected.

I thought this thread was interesting. Not necessarily directly related to the weekend’s problems, but indicative of the culture in general:

https://mobile.twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/868889939412484097

I think you can get it back from the airline if you have buy anything.

1 Like

Nobody’s getting on any plane fool.

1 Like

There’s a familiar theme here. When our company outsourced it was obviously driven by cost from the management. The problem was knowledge takes time to transfer regardless of skill. The guys in India knew their programming stuff but it was a bespoke piece of software with a lot of processes that you realised maybe weren’t obvious if you weren’t being given 1-2-1 supervision in the office. It took years for the team to get up to speed. In the meantime we were doing what was mentioned there: doing a lot of the work because in the end deadlines had to be met over staff being trained.

These days it’s fine but I’d estimate it took at least 5 years for the offshore team to be up to speed.

1 Like

I am flying BA tomorrow morning. Will I be alright? I don’t want to sleep on the floor Theo.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=5775

Our IT systems are now back up and running and we will be operating a full flight schedule at Heathrow and Gatwick on Tuesday 30 May.

1 Like

Doesn’t say anything about tomorrow though, so good luck eltham

2 Likes

Are you not still allowed to take hand luggage?

Panicking

1 Like

If it’s anyone I struggle to feel sorry for, it’s people who can afford to go on holiday.

They’re not all going on holiday. Some of them are fleeing this shit country.

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, whenever I go away I dread coming back so much that it almost makes the trip away redundant and pointless.

1 Like

Holy shit:

#an engineer “disconnected the power”.

4 Likes

the engineer essential disconnects the power.

3 Likes

In all seriousness though, it must be pretty grim to be the person in question in situations like this, and perhaps you might lose your job, but as time passes I can’t help feeling that you’d eventually take some pride in it. “Remember that time when the switchroom at Victoria got filled with concrete and shut down the network? That was me that was!”

3 Likes