Back pain help/support thread

Just use Topcashback

My former Osteopath has moved to Egypt. Now he’s a Chiropractor

Hmmm

5 Likes

I have posture issues, sciatica, kyphosis and scoliosis. You’ll need some diazepam by the sounds of it if it’s muscular and physio. Two hour intervals of paracetamol and ibuprofen too. Exercise really helps. The doctor keeps recommending swimming to me but I need to sort prescription goggles first. Pilates is good too.

1 Like

Do you lift, bro? I’ve had many back problems in my life and when I roll my hips it sounds like a cement mixer full of bricks, but general weightlifting and core strengthening works wonders for the back. You need to improve the support your muscles give your joints and connections, especially if you’re doing a lot of cardio. Weights will help you build up your back and let the muscles take the stress rather than your bones.

2 Likes

This.
Don’t necessarily need weights for that tbf

1 Like

Yoga (some places will do sessions with you specifically designed to fix an injury)

But yeah speak to your gp. When I had gp referred physio it took about 3-4 weeks I think? And it was free so obviously you’d save big bucks.

When I had problems (elbow pain caused by bad posture trapping a nerve in my neck) it was actually occupational health adjusting my seating position that made the most difference.

it’s ok DB, he’s a man, his pain will be taken seriously.

4 Likes

Lots of back problems! For awhile, yoga, weight-lifting, and Middle Eastern dance helped tremendously. (I can’t currently do any of those things but have hope I will be able to again someday.)

Ibuprofen is also a great help for me.

1 Like

I’d say go to your GP.

My GF got referred straight away, had physio and some medication I can’t pronounce. It took a while, but she’s “back” to full strength now.

2 Likes

I reckon this is a good call. Not necessarily weights, but definitely need to build my core strength.

I do a fair bit of physio (and more since the new year) but almost nothing for my core.

Sorry to hear that DB. That’s appalling.

4 Likes

Mine pretty much said the same to me, too (apart from the big boobs bit). Carrying the extra weight around my waist with my poor core strength was one of the major causes of my bad posture, and, like with many medical treatments, shifting that excess weight makes a big difference to how successful any physio is likely to be, and how sustainable it will be long-term.

I got short-term anti-inflammatory steroid medication for the trapped nerve there and then, but the doctor was reluctant to refer me for physio unless I made the changes that would mean that it wouldn’t be wasted.

Doctors telling women to “just lose some weight” is both all too common and frequently not applicable or justified.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with that.

Yeah this has happened to my wife on multiple occasions. Means she very rarely goes to the doctor and hates the whole process.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried those back brace type things, that supposedly make you sit with a good posture and can be worn invisibly under clothes? I keep seeing on the internet and am very tempted as it makes sense but I bet it doesn’t work!

You mean a girdle?

Idk is this a girdle?

whenever I have gone to the doctor about back pain they’re always like “nah, just take some ibuprofen and it’ll go away”

WHAT DID THEY THINK I WAS DOING BEFORE WAITING FOR DAYS FOR A GP APPOINTMENT?

4 Likes

I think @shrewbie and @anon5266188 were talking about them in a thread the other week somewhere.