Backhanded compliments (rolling?)

Had any good backhanders recently? Got my hair cut yesterday at a new barber and like all new barbers he told me I had very thick hair. I’m assuming this is a good thing for me and an annoying thing for him? Never really know how to take it.

A m9 told me recently to go for larger framed Wayfarers because ‘they suit people with big faces’.

2 Likes

This is one of your better threads, m9

16 Likes

:grinning:

I had this coming.

I’ve always taken thick hair as a good thing? Means you’re not going bald.

2 Likes

I always get ‘wow you have a lot of hair don’t you?’ Which I take to mean ‘I’m so bored of cutting all your bloody hair’

3 Likes

It’s always said with a bit of latent disdain, one guy told me once I was breaking his clippers.

Wow you’re tall

:expressionless:

1 Like

I’m always told I have thick hair. Always take it as a compliment. Even whilst they’re weeping over their shattered scissor blades.

2 Likes

I have thin, whispy, flyaway hair and no barber has ever commented on it. Take your compliments, you strong haired silverbacks.

6 Likes

“wouldn’t have thought you could pull off those shoes but they suit you”
“wouldn’t have thought you’d drink somewhere like this but you fit in”
“wouldn’t have thought you could wear a coat like that but it looks alright”
“wouldn’t have thought you’d want to meet my workmates but you weren’t awkward”
“wouldn’t have thought you’d be interested in a hike you just about kept up”
etc

2 Likes

I like your knuckles

You’d be a great player if you worked on your forehand

2 Likes

If this is all the same person, please dump them.

3 Likes

this is feedback from different people over the last 15 years or so, i took it all on board and now i am cool af

2 Likes

Phew :slight_smile:
Sounds like you were cool all along, people just underestimated you!

1 Like

My all time great in this genre is my darling partner telling me that she had a good feeling about me after our first day because I “wasn’t at all charming”.

She has tried to revise this to mean that I was genuine, but we all know the truth.

4 Likes

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/are-we-doing-selfies-then/34353/102

5 Likes

A few months ago: “for a commissioner, you’re actually vaguely human”

1 Like

Classic batman

10 Likes

at an 18th birthday party a drunk old woman told me I was going to be fit when I was older (I was 17 at the time). Very weird exchange but it’s stuck with me. Often wonder if she was right or wrong