🍌 🌽 The New Vegan Thread 2018 🍆 🌻

Yeah, very nice - I posted some pics upthread. I’m not vegetarian, so I am curious as to what people make of it as the texture was really close to a burger cooked rare.

I’m blown away with how good it is. I’ve made 4 things from it this week alone! :joy:

Just did the tomato orzo for lunch today

1 Like

You coating your tofu in corn flour right?

2 Likes

Aye. May chuck some panko breadcrumbs on too but not sure. Will play it by ear

Looks amaze. The vegan recipes actually look even better than the veggie ones, and I’m trying to cut down on cheese (don’t use milk or eggs) so this could really help with that.

That looks great. Might get a copy. Bored of all our cookbooks.

Even people who are Tory enough to buy butties on the train instead of bringing their own are becoming vegans now.

This book is a bit of cock but their method for dry frying tofu has made me love the stuff

Can you C&P the method? I’m not buying something called Thug Kitchen

But Thug Kitchen lives in the real world. In their first cookbook, they’re throwing down more than 100 recipes for their best-loved meals, snacks and sides for beginning cooks to home chefs. (Roasted Beer and Lime Cauliflower Tacos? Pumpkin Chili? Grilled Peach Salsa? Believe that sh*t.) Plus they’re going to arm you with all the info and techniques you need to shop on a budget and go and kick a bunch of ass on your own.

It’s pretty simple. Put some kitchen roll round your tofu and then stick between two plates and put something heavy on it. Leave for an hour. Then slice it into maybe 1cm and then dry fry it for 4 minutes each side while really pushing down with a spatula. Then cut them up into whatever you want. Gets rid of all the spongeyness. You will need a pan that it isn’t going to stick to.

Might invent that and take it onto dragons den. A non-stick pan

don’t provoke the thug chef

3 Likes

Yeah, I was heading more towards a well seasoned pan than the teflon type, I’ll fuck you up, yo!

You didn’t choose the thug life the thug life chose you

Yeah I’ve got 3 (all?) of their books and once you get past the wankery the recipes are pretty good.

↑ thug brother

2 Likes

I also bought this on your recommendation and am loving it. It’s great that they are all just recipes you can throw in a dish and bung in the oven.

Made the Thai curry and the Tomato Orzo yesterday. The Orzo one was particularly delicious

Thanks for the tip on the book!

It’s veggie week at Lidl and they’ve got lots of vegan stuff in appazas

1 Like

Finally got round to trying the Vivera steak last night. Nothing like a steak (lacks the depth and the, sorry to say, bloodlust satisfaction that is kinda unique to steak) but tasted like a newly discovered meat. Perhaps the best standalone fake meat I’ve had.

Would like to try it as a burger - reckon it could beat Linda Mccartney burgers, which I rate. FYI - home made spicy chimmichurri sauce with it, home fries, peas and a glass of red.