🍌 🌽 The New Vegan Thread 2018 🍆 🌻

meal for one as my wife is a fully paid up member of the wholefoods massive.

I have now bought this book. That orzo thingy is getting destroyed!

I have now also bought that book, but am ambivalent about orzo generally.

1 Like

I’m going to a barbeque tomorrow night. What’s the best burger / sausage / other bbq option that I can get in Central London?

Sainsbury’s new plant based burger and shroomdogs do great on a bbq

These bad boys

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=44&productId=1231424&storeId=10151&krypto=HsOhKh4cN5T7BrQqhr%2BhyYLe7C3B6Cahkg25GnBRQRcA8Ak8OB2Xwch7a6jS8AETkGoEKi%2FueInEIQ41LlN5rxNAzntGAH07sCwWZDiVDIzlGfwOIlR0tP42FSBms8550eqgIEBDzj8t7FZrSzbIRNg0OlE1Ldv3jhn0ceoC%2FWYoR0%2B2R6lzKsalERFRa4BUPCETPr%2FO3ltIB9EGCue8qQ%3D%3D

Does anyone have any good recipes for mung beans?

Bonus points if the recipe isn’t a curry but I do love a veggie curry.

I hadn’t thought of a bolognese! Excellent work!

1 Like

This stuff is really good.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Perfect-World-Mint-Choc-Chip-Low-Calorie-Ice-Cream/362774011

The caramel pecan one is bumhat though, save yourself the disappointment.

Had some of those sainos shroom dogs for lunch just ‘fine’

I hate the skin on those. SazzaB’s are doing tofurky stuff now which is much nicer (lightly seasoned chicken in particular is nice sauteed) albeit pretty pricey.

I really like them. They taste better in the oven weirdly

I have now bought this. (Accidentally bought 2 copies actually so that’s my brothers Xmas present sorted)

Not sure if the vegan thread is entirely appropriate for this, but here goes anyway.

I’ve got a chronic stomach condition, which was getting progressively worse until earlier this year, when I switched medication and took up a predominantly vegan diet. The change in diet and new meds resulted in me being symptom free within a very short space of time.

However, I’ve recently found myself being constantly fatigued, somewhat forgetful, and very ‘down’. After some blood tests it turns out that I am very deficient in Vitamin B12. The reason for this, evidently, is two-fold. First up, my new medication limits the body’s ability to absorb B12. Secondly, this is potentially worsened by a vegan diet that may be lower in B12 than a non-vegan diet.

Before considering other options, I’d like to try and significantly boost B12 consumption whilst maintaining a vegan diet. Any suggestions for things I might be missing? Or should I just have Marmite with everything?

I take these every day -

And eat a lot of this (although don’t think it gives a significant boost - it IS tasty in cashew cheese sauces and stuff like that though).

2 Likes

apparently eating good fats like avocado etc can help the body absorb nutrient rich food

1 Like

Thanks for this. I should have said that I picked up some B12 supplements yesterday. I’m going to order some of those yeast flakes now though.

1 Like

Already eat a fair few avocados. However, I would be more than happy to double my intake. Cheers!

1 Like

You can make a banging mac and cheese sauce with it by soaking a cupful of cashews then blending with a fried onion, few cloves of garlic, teaspoon of mustard powder, teaspoon of turmeric, salt, pepper and four or five tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Not the healthiest way to get your B12 but definitely one of the most enjoyable.

2 Likes

This sounds amazing. I’m drooling.

Who cares. It sounds delicious.