Band names that initially put you off

I can think of three off the top of my head – ignored them for quite some time before becoming a fan:

Poison The Well
Every Time I Die
Small Brown Bike

Still think the names are shit though. Let’s have some more

A Wilhelm Scream
Drug Church
The Mae Shi
Audrey Horne
I Hate Myself

Car Seat Headrest.

still haven’t fully gotten into him but i downloaded one of his old free albums and it was pretty good. should really give the new one a go now.

My Bloody Valentine

Godspeed you! black emperor years ago

yeah i was thinking about these guys the other day cos i do like some of their tracks, but car seat fucking headrest?! mon tae fuck.

Butthole Surfers

Real Lies

Ryan Adams

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
We’ve Got a Fuzzbox and We’re Gonna Use It

the casiotone name came about more or less by accident and i think even owen himself hated it a bit!

i’ve always found “we’ve got a fuzzbox…” really funny. if anything it endears me to them more.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Terrible terrible name.

Quite like that actually :slight_smile:

Maybeshewill

Sounds like a shit emo band so I never made the effort, then my post-rock-loving mate played me a bit and we saw them on their farewell tour, which was lovely

It really fits both bands, but saying them out loud really makes me wince.

A Winged Victory for the Sullen.

It didn’t put me off as such 'cause I knew who was involved, but it’s fucking shit. Had it on last Christmas and my mother in law asked what was playing. “A wing what?” FUCK OFF. Should’ve just said Blur or something.

Does it offend you Yea?

was Nathan Barley in the band?

Terrible name, terrible band, but the origin of the name is pretty interesting.

Apparently they couldn’t think of a name, so they vowed to turn on the TV and name their band after the first thing they heard.

And as chance would have it it was David Brent, in the very first episode of the office, admonishing Dawn for her quip about his lunchtime drinking.

“Does it offend you, yeah? My drinking?”

True or not, I like that story. Even if I dislike the band a lot.

American Football

I like how pretentious it is. It’s like two fingers to casual fans.