Bandcamp business - SongTradr, staff layoffs, the future

I don’t massively understand the ‘following’ function. But my Bandcamp page is here: https://ubiquitousmeh.bandcamp.com/

…I guess you get email prompts if bands upload new stuff even if you haven’t bought something from them on there before?

1 Like

Yeah following an artist means you’re signing up for notifications when they release or announce something. I think it also functions like a mailing list so the artist can send mailers to any of their followers.

Following a fan gets you emails like ‘so and so just bought these records!’ and recommends stuff on that kinda basis

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m always a bit confused by the fact I’m generally logged in as my artist page. But I do have fan account too. Pretty sure they’re the same login but if I click on the fans bit it just asks me to sign up again. It seems to know it’s me when I buy something, I think, though. But I ordinarily buy stuff via the app these days.

I get the impression the artist/label has to do this manually rather than it happening automatically. I contacted an artist about this the other week and they sorted it.

1 Like

When someone you follow buys something you get to see it. I was thinking it could be good for recommendations.

Ah, nice. Often when people buy stuff from me, Bandcamp says ‘this buyer discovered you via our algorithm’ or something so it is seemingly good at steering potentially interested people towards my music.

1 Like

Yep, this is the case. A weird administrative faff really.

1 Like

I’ve followed ya

Here’s me

2 Likes

Followed you (and @manches)!

It me:

1 Like

Followed y’all via the app. And found my personal profile:

1 Like

I’m here - I’ll give yous a follow

1 Like

It does seem strange that this isn’t just something that’s automated.

Me If anyone wants to follow…

1 Like

I get a bit weirded out by the thought that someone might be following me, scrutinising my purchases. I mean, do I want the people who identify with me on account of my Mitski albums judging me for my Hey Geronimo albums (and vice versa)?

1 Like

I just want my taste for hopelessly obscure improvisational modular synthesiser artists pretending to be fictional 1970s Euroxploitation writer-directors validated, is that so much to ask?

6 Likes

c’est moi -

Followed all of you as well.

3 Likes

Think I’ve posted my profile before but I’m needy so here we go

Funny how when you are logged in you don’t see the music genre they’ve assigned you, only when other people look at your profile.

I get assigned ‘experimental’, what about everyone else? (I’d do a poll but I have no idea what the choices would be).

Here’s mine:

1 Like

Dunno. Presumably ‘Christian Fitness’.

2 Likes

I got electronic

1 Like