Bands/acts who changed drastically at some point

I don’t mean things like 'got some strings in and made a ‘mature’ album, I mean where if you played something from two separate albums you’d swear it was a completely different band. I imagine this is more rare than it might seem, especially if they’ve got a vocalist.

Anyway, who inspired this thread? Mercury Rev. I don’t know their early stuff all that well but whenever I do listen to it, it’s absolutely hilarious how different they sound.

1 Like

Fleetwood Mac, definitely.

2 Likes

Flaming Lips. Did a marathon back catalogue listen a couple of years ago and you’d think they were 3 or 4 different bands

8 Likes

This, though, is Exhibit A*.

6 Likes

the horrors releasing sea within a sea like 2 years after this

his voice changes too but still a pretty distinct vocalist i guess so might be able to still tell it’s him
14 Likes

Currently listening to Dylan’s born again Christian phase. Maybe not a wholesale change in delivery as such but lyrically it’s a fair change.
Not as bad as a lot of folk make out.

3 Likes

R*******d.

4 Likes

80s Pantera vs 90s Pantera

8 Likes

Simple Minds. Early arty synths and sweeping krautrock instrumentals v later strutting stadium rock.

5 Likes

ok I have a better one
Tiny Vipers going from acoustic singer songwriter to releasing ambient instrumentals

Ministry

6 Likes

Lol

Brother / Viva Brother / whatever else they’ve been called

I really liked Phantom Brickworks by Bibio - these ten minute ambient movements, making up an album 1hr13 long.

Then saw a review of his new one and was surprised to find it was finger picked guitar singer songwriter stuff (not my thing). Definitely unrecognisable as the same artist.

2 Likes

Jam City

The Smashing Pumpkins. I won’t elaborate, but I’ll just say there’s plenty of room for fans and non-fans alike to project their feelings onto this answer.

2 Likes
31 Likes

Primal Scream

6 Likes

never heard of them

I know they’re hated here, but Red Hot Chili Peppers. Going from a bratty funk band with a singer who didn’t feel capable of singing a melody to the band that wrote Californication and By the Way.

4 Likes