Bands/artists that you went off (or maybe disliked at first) but now really like

I saw them on that same tour - was so good! They do make more sense live - I got into them through TWLITF and Trust, but it really clicked into place after the first gig.

Can’t wait to see them in April again :heart:

1 Like

i haven’t seen them since that tour but i have a ticket for April as well, all being well

1 Like

Could not get into Tom Waits’ voice or the composition of most of his songs for years, and then just made a concerted effort one year to really try and crack him and it all fell into place.

Dillinger Escape Plan. Bought Calculating Infinity on a whim and thought it was rubbish so I took it back. Then I saw them at Reading 2002 and my curiosity piqued. Irony Is A Dead Scene also came out around that time and I was a big Patton fan, and I thought that EP was/is amazing. I bought Calculating Infinity back and definitely took a totally different view on it, it’s easily one of their best albums. Not a huge fan of much after Miss Machine.

1 Like

Prince, The Smiths, The Cure

All seen on Top of the Pops as child and all instantly disliked. The tide started turning when I was about 14/15. Didn’t give The Smiths much time until my late 20’s.

Springsteen for me as well. Only tried to get into him as my partner was a big fan - Just found him cheesy guff before that. I saw him at the O2 in 2007 where he put on the best gig I’d ever been to - I’ve never loved an artist so quickly before. Then I saw him at Hampden in 2013 where he trumped that earlier gig. God Tier music for me since 2007.

1 Like

Still not convinced on Springsteen fully, but I picked up a copy of Nebraska from a second hand shop and absolutely love it.

1 Like

yeah my mum is a big fan but i only like bits and pieces, usually the more acoustic stuff. Nebraska is quite good.

For most of my early life I wasn’t that into 311. I liked some of their songs but never could understand why my friends were so obsessed with them. Then one day in the early 2000s it all clicked at once and to this day I can’t shut up about them. Don’t know what happened.

Music - Grassroots - S/T - Transistor is a legitimately brilliant run of albums.
And if you ignore a few duds (and let me tell you, they are duds), the run of Soundsystem - From Chaos - Evolver is really enjoyable too.

Hoping that Turnstile’s success this past year ushers in a 311 renaissance.

past attempts to get into Tindersticks have always failed but i quite like the new album