Bands everyone suddenly got over

Remember when everyone loved Animal Collective? Unavoidable for a few years weren’t they? Everyone loved Feels, Strawberry Jam and then it really peaked with merriweather.

But now, no one cares. Who’s excited for an anco album in 2021? no one.

Same story with Why? - Elephant Eyelash & Alopecia were universally adored, even Eskimo Snow got some love, but then nothing. Just disappeared from the collective consciousness seemingly overnight.

any other examples? acts that seemed to be popular with both critics and fans that suddenly everyone just got over?

6 Likes

Idles

22 Likes

The Drums.

2 Likes

Priests a lot of critics really didn’t like their 2nd album. I thought it was quite good.

2 Likes

The attention dissipated after they released their best material.

The lesson here for bands is: Never release your best material.

32 Likes

Low.

1 Like

Ive revisited a few anco records in the past few weeks having been massive fan at the time. There are some gems across the catalogue, enough for a varied and excellent best of… But a lot of it is quite shite indeed.

I’m extremely unlikely to listen to a full album or theirs again

2 Likes

yeah I guess it’s when the follow up to a great album is significantly weaker rather than just being a different direction or something. Meaning that everyone unconsciously assumes we’ve had the best they can offer and moves on.

3 Likes

WU LYF

1 Like

Factory Floor

11 Likes

Squid

3 Likes

Fence Collective

Remember when somehow Wu Lyf managed to get marketed as this celestial force that were going to set the music industry on fire and then they happened and it was very meh

9 Likes

think there’s actually something in this you know - might be better for a band’s longevity to release consistently ‘fine’ albums rather than produce one masterpiece and then a load of stuff that isn’t as good. Kind of goes against any artistic ambition, but from a purely careerist perspective, portion the good stuff out.

3 Likes

Arcade Fire

4 Likes

Wugazi

1 Like

Arcade fire are still massive. Yeah reflektor was dogshit but all or their other albums are 8+/10

3 Likes

definitely taken a massive knock to their rep though, pretty much untouchable before. Next album is probably make or break for them also going this route.

I guess the difference is that they didn’t just have 1 great album (although you could argue that was the first one), but maintained a strong streak for 3-4 releases before putting out a dud, so have an established legacy to fall back on.

Battles. Not sure if people looked into them much after Mirrored.

That band and also Rick Boogs.

14 Likes

perfect example

1 Like