Bands everyone suddenly got over

I count myself as a fan -mainly for Yellow House, Vectamist and a strong live showing at Primavera one year to counteract a slightly sedate and forgettable gig at Koko… but they’ve always struck me as a band that is easier to admire than love and I can’t imagine they are many people’s favourite band.

2 Likes

Oh hello there

1 Like

Yeah I went to see them and it was gowdawful and I immediately lost all interest in them

1 Like

(Sample of some of the sound effects from Love Cats by the Cure played at half speed with reverb)

Cat’s gots claws eh

In srsness though, many chillwave artists were a flash in the pan yes, but as a genre / practice / whatever, surely it’s actually pretty foundational to a lot of what’s going on now both in the underground and the mainstream?

1 Like

I’ve been coming around to the idea that Trouble Will Find Me is their best one, or at the very least the best one that isn’t Alligator. The second half of Sleep Well Beast might be the best thing they ever did too. Don’t think they’ve ever made a misstep, the last one was great too.

2 Likes

Weirdly seem to recall them leaving one of the best tracks off their return to form third album, too. Casual Friday? Can’t find it on YouTube or anything so it might be embarrassingly bad but I seem to recall it was the shiny pop moment that album was missing.

1 Like

Remember that wedding where all the guests did a choreographed dance to it?

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

10 Likes

Hahahahaha
That’s amazing!!!

Not sure the majority of the guests enjoyed it!

1 Like

I’ll never get over Why? I really liked 2019’s AOKOHIO and think it has a few new ideas. Their self-curated Spotify play list is titled chill bro baggins, who couldn’t love that.

4 Likes

If possible can you give me a link for the why? Mix…. Tried looking but can’t find

Found it :blush:

1 Like

I think the best example of this commercially that I can remember is The Darkness. Despite a lot of music ‘people’ hating them ‘Permission To Land’ was generally a critical as well as commercial success. Personally I really enjoyed the follow up too, and I still enjoy going to see them live but that’s the biggest fall I can remember.

Crazy looking back that The Darkness, Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand amongst others headlined Reading. A band like Foals appear to have naturally developed and gained further commercial acclaim, even though their first album is still my favourite of theirs by far.

Chew Lips. Though after looking just now it’s more that they split after one album rather than stopped being talked about. That said I really liked them at the time and even caught them in Bristol once.

1 Like

Awful band name didn’t help

1 Like

I can’t find a great deal of info as to what happened, but I imagine the singer getting cervical cancer was a big thing. Sounds like she refocused and did a lot of fundraising after her recovery. Maybe a change of heart career wise…

The first album did well enough to get them signed to Sony. But yeah, awful name!

I initially misread this as This Town Needs Guns who were never that big but were fucking great all the same…

3 Likes

Seen this video posted on this website so many times and can never bring myself to click on it because of the threat of secondhand embarrassment

6 Likes

Feel like they used to play lots, then didn’t so much once Animals came out, idk

I genuinely thought they’d split up, just had a look on twitter and it seems they’re still together.