Bands who got shit after a particular member left

Who are they and who was the member?

When Josh left Deerhunter :pensive:

4 Likes

Pixies. Kim

20 Likes

Came in here to say this. Still a good band, just not the same band. I miss him.

2 Likes

Spot on.

1 Like

I know a lot of people don’t like them but the RHCP only released good stuff when John Frusciante was involved.

Queen when Mercury died.

The Doors when Morrison died.

5 Likes

Mushroomhead when John Seluka left

4 Likes

Weezer - Matt Sharp

I don’t know how much his departure was related to the future shit though.

3 Likes

Mogwai - John

(feels a bit mean saying this)

Our Lady Peace turned from a secretly great and ambitious band to insufferably generic after their guitarist Mike Turner left in 2001. Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch and Spiritual Machines were fantastic creative departures, and then (by the band’s own admission) they released their most basic album (which had this awful by-the-numbers early 2000s music video).

2 Likes

I never knew this, but this explains so much. I remember that point when I first heard Innocent and thought “well there’s the shark jumped”.

1 Like

Franz Nicolay / The Hold Steady (although I gather he’s back now)

4 Likes

Modest Mouse - Eric Judy

2 Likes

New Order were never a patch on Joy Division.

3 Likes

I really like Every Country’s Sun - it’s definitely better than at least a couple of the records John was around for…

I’ve not really been into anything And So I Watch You From Afar have done since Tony Wright left, and much prefer Tyondai Braxton era Battles to what came before and after.

5 Likes

knew someone would say Battles, but Gloss Drop might be my favourite record they’ve done (the last one wasn’t quite as good though)

most recent ASIWYFA was their strongest in a while i think but you’re probably right otherwise. still a beast live though. seeing them play the debut in full in a tiny venue next month and i’m hoping Tony makes an appearance

1 Like

Vampire Weekend

2 Likes

Jealous! Absolutely adore that record.

i missed them doing it in full 10 years ago at the album launch for some reason so better late than never!

Oasis when Noel left. Beady Eye - Flick of the Finger - YouTube

1 Like