Bands whose last album is their best

Weirdly, despite thinking Ha Ha Sound is the better album, it’s Tender Buttons that I tend to revisit more.

1 Like

for me it’s between The Noise Made By People and Tender Buttons. again i sorta think the former is essentially the better album but stick the latter on way more often.

some people seem to have got here before me but yeah obviously it’s Unwound, Fugazi and maybe Jawbreaker too?

Not for long…

4 Likes

oh it was Refused too before they ruined that, but tbh TSOPTC is so far ahead of everything else they did that this can maybe chalked up to fluke

Some others:

Nation of Ulysses (not much between them though)
Algernon Cadwallader
Beat Happening

oh yeah this

DEFINITELY!

You could certainly make a case for Uprising although many would argue Exodus, or my personal fave Catch a Fire are better.

And the really obvious one no one has mentioned. Jimi Hendrix. While all three releases are quality Electric Ladyland is probably the best

2 Likes

Nick Drake is another with Pink Moon.

Strangeways, Here We Come could be argued to be the Smiths best. But you could argue that any of the four are the best.

Laughing Stock is considered by many fans to be Talk Talks best work. Although its a more difficult work and I personally put it level with Spirit of Eden.

If you dont include The Doors ill advised albums that cam after Jims death L.A. Woman.

Must be a fair few more but thats my bit done

Electrelane

The Power Out is their best album, surely?

Japan - Tin Drum
Portishead - Third (if nine years is long enough)
Talk Talk - Laughingstock (although it’s a close one)

The new Clark LP is great. Could be his best

Nah, it’s no shouts no calls for me Shirley

Screaming Trees

5 Likes

Stars of the Lid

1 Like

It’s actually very easy: Dig Me Out.

I saw them on the Dust tour. They had Josh Homme along for the ride. Brilliant show.

I didn’t see them live but saw them do a couple of tracks on Later and Josh Homme was with them for that. Not that I knew who he was at the time, he was just some young bloke who looked out of place.