Bands with an obviously mismatched band member

Emo band I went to uni with had a drummer who’d twirl his sticks between songs, sometimes mid-song.

A three piece where two of them were clearly with the program, but he’d put these fills which were just so… wrong.

Won’t say their name, because I’m not a dick, but what other examples of this are there? Preferably better known.

latter-day MSP with Nicky Wire? always think the other two seem like they can’t be fucked bothering to look like they’re even in a band anymore whereas he still looks yr embarrassing uncle who bores you to death about how there’s no “real music” anymore

22 Likes

I remember seeing a gentle folk band at Latitude festival some years ago, where most of the band’s style was in keeping with the genre of gentle folk dweeb, but then their trumpet player was rocking this bombastic Sid Vicious look. Big spiked up bleached hair and ripped denim and peircings, the works*. Quite a disconnect to see him behaving impeccably, not spitting or shouting or getting rowdy, just playing these slow, melancholic trumpet lines.

*I do wonder if he maybe only looked a little bit punk, but I’ve chosen to remember him being 900% 70s punk because that’s way funnier.

3 Likes

The latest Bloc Party line-up look a bit all over the place tbh:

6 Likes

razorlight hat man?

26 Likes

Every member of Fucked Up looks like they should be in a Vampire Weekend esque preppy indie band, and then there’s Damian

6 Likes

Always thought the drummer from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs looked a bit out of place.

13 Likes

just looks like he should post on here eh?

7 Likes

If id never seen razorlight but had to draw a band member based only on their music, he is what i would draw. I reckon hes the only one that isnt out of place

no chance! he’s far to visually interesting, yr man second from the left is them in a nutshell, just the dictionary definition of bland

He is objectively good looking though.

Is it you?

1 Like

So pompous though. Id fully expect someone in a band like that to be a weird pick up artist

9 Likes

I don’t like to brag, but he does remind me a little bit of John Oliver, is all.

You’re John Oliver?

Didn’t say he wasn’t.
Nick and Karen dress like NYC indie hipsters. Brian looks like he’s the guy from accounts they roped in to play the drums.

3 Likes

That’s what I said, yes.

1 Like

Oh wow, I think you’re quite good, congrats

1 Like

The shit is this group?