Bands you once liked, but now hate

Wow, ok. How?

How can you hate these guys having once liked them?!?

I absolutely loved Mellow Gold and One Foot In the Grave and saw his first UK show and hunted out all the obscure independent stuff and bought all the singles to get all the B sidesā€¦ Then Sea Change was just dull and drab and boring. Actually in all honesty I thought Mutations was pretty average too. Hey ho

1 Like

Mutations isnā€™t the best, Iā€™ll give you that, but I mean, you must have a heart of stone to not be moved by Sea Change, itā€™s such a beautiful, tough record! :open_mouth:

Pretty much the same, though I did like Mutations at the time (hasnā€™t aged particularly well though).

Sea Change was the start of bland, sanitised Beck. Thereā€™s still good stuff that came after, but it was the album that ended my obsession with him.

2 Likes

Same here. Went to see him on the odelay tour instead of going to my end of school dance (wasnā€™t called a prom then i donā€™t think) and he was totally mind-blowing. I was obsessed around that time. Unfortunately though bland is the perfect way to describe most of his output this century for sure.

1 Like

100% this

plus I quite liked the Leisure Society (mainly because of that nice Last of the Melting Snow song) then I saw them live and realised they are just Divine Comedy wannabees and immediately took against them

genuinely amazed this is a semi-regular opinion. I thought everyone loved Sea Change

I love Colors lol. And modern guilt. And mutations. But never got on with sea change

2 Likes

Modern Guilt is great! I quite enjoyed the Colors stuff live when i saw him recently tbf, but the songs are still very zeitgeisty for him which is a bit out of character, for me.

1 Like

So do I, Colors is pretty good. Heā€™s atleast still taking chances. After the success of Morning Phase, I thought we would just get Sea Change / Morning Phase 2,3 ,4 etc as he builds up the retirement fund.

The Nationalā€¦ so bland to my ears now, stopped listening to them many years ago

3 Likes

I thought Colors was dreadful on the first few listens - a perfectly decent if slight set of songs but with no real through line and which had been over-produced into bland oblivion. But my better half is a big Beck fan so kept putting it on and Iā€™ve genuinely come round to really liking it. I donā€™t think I would ever argue it is a great album or anywhere near his best work but I now find it a really enjoyable album. Would be a good candidate for @sean 3 month album review idea.

1 Like

clap your ballbags say yeah!

unlistenable shite

2 Likes

Not even one of the best tracks on The Spark, their latest album, really. Enter Shikari are a superb band and have progressed loads since Take To The Skies (which most DiS people only know them for). I saw them twice at Ally Pally in recent years and each time was a truly exhilarating experience.

Sorta see this.

They never did anything as wall-to-wall great as Satanic Panic again Kev did his damndest to ruin The Archandroid and nothing before or since touches, nor will ever touch, THE FUCKING PAST IS A FUCKING GROTESQUE FUCKING ANIMAL.

But those two are still great and I still thoroughly enjoy them.

1 Like

Errr, are we talking about the Mutations that Beck did? Or was there another Beck that did another album called Mutations?

Asking for a friend.

whatā€™s your point caller

mutations is fucking great bruv

all his stuff is great, I just said it wasnā€™t his best.