🏀 🏀 🏀 NBA 2017/2018 SEASON 🏀 🏀 🏀

it’s almoist as good as:

He’s truly unbelievable and probably the greatest of all time. It’s not shown in this clip, but the face he makes as he’s jogging away is perfect too. I wish I had gotten to see more of his career, most of which unfortunately aligned with peak depression and my wanting to save money by not paying for cable. Fortunately I was able to catch the past few finals at least and that insane game against Detroit earlier in his career.

My wife has a thinly veiled hatred of professional sports, but we came across this play a couple days ago and she reflexively started clapping and yelling and shaking her fist, and has been reading about the greatest basketball players of all time for the past two days.

I don’t get why so many people hate him, he’s fantastic. I know The Decision was a bad PR move, but it feels like it started earlier than that and he’s more than made up for it anyway.

I still think Jordan was better, but its really, really close.

1. Jordan
  2. LeBron
  3. Magic
  4. Bird
  5. Russell/Wilt
  6. Kobe
  7. Kareem
  8. Shaq
  9. Robertson
  10. Duncan

Yeah, it’s really hard to compare too, especially given how much the league has changed (even in the past few years).

Which makes me wonder - what great players from the 90s and even early 2000s would have been rendered obsolete in today’s league? Which would have dominated even more? And which average or forgotten ones would have been stars? I grew up loving those mid 90s Knicks teams and am curious about how players like John Starks, Hubert Davis, Derek Harper, Charles Oakley, etc. would fare in the modern NBA.

different game, which makes ranking these players so difficult. I tend to go by how dominant they were in their time (wasn’t around for bird/magic, russell/chamberlain and robertson, so am just going off documentaries and youtube clips.

LeBron is easily the best player of this generation though. you could put him in charlotte or memphis and they’d instantly be conference champions. I’m a celtics fan, but I don’t think we stand a chance against the cavs purely because of LeBron.

Genuinely thought all was forgiven when he finally won a title for Cleveland

I think it has been for the most part, but I still come across people who view him as nothing but a greedy, arrogant “punk” (unsurprisingly, there’s a strong correlation with political affiliation).

I play (very poorly) a few times a week, and it’s amazing how in 2018 you still hear things like, “Lebron is a bum, he has no heart, Kobe and Melo are winners” before the games.

fucking love the NBA

Hey basketball fans! I know this is an NBA thread, but the most exciting basketball event of the year is happening in the college game: March Madness begins tomorrow! Anyone fancy filling in a bracket and having a DiS group for the challenge?

If there is any interest I will start a group. You don’t have to have any college knowledge - just pick the match ups and hope for the best, it is always good fun.

didn’t realise you were into college basketball! count me in!

Yes! Don’t follow college ball as much as the NBA but know enough about the big teams/coaches/currently exciting prospects to enjoy it.

Do you have a team?

Tbh, I have barely followed it this year because of various reasons, but it is hard not to get caught up when it gets to the Big Dance.

My team for all college sports is Oregon (didn’t make the big tournament this year, but off to a good start in the NIT [second teir post season tournament]), though in basketball I also have a massive fondness for Butler because fairly early on in my following of college ball they had these two amazing Cinderella runs to the final of the tournament so I fell for them a bit.

yeah I’ve been lucky enough to be in the states a few times when it’s been going on and it’s really cool and amazing how everyone gets really into it, so like profk keep an eye on the main things going on.

Butler <3

Brad Stevens <3

Gordon Hayward <3

Right, I think this link should work for the group.

Picking the games I realised how little attention I have been paying this year, most of it was a complete shot in the dark :no_mouth:

Yes, @jont2001 I just saw your entry in the group :grinning:

@profk and any other interested parties, remember this thing starts tomorrow so there isn’t much time left to join.