Fuck BBC News

Genuinely sort of a bit horrified at that LGB headline. 100% done on purpose.

1 Like

Don’t worry, my children are pretty depressed about climate change. David Attenborough is now seen as a doomsayer (so all joy and interest in the natural world has been killed), and there’s a pervading sense of helplessness over the world that adults have created (never mind that it’s my generation that has seen the closing of the ozone hole, the birth and rapid expansion of renewables, the growth in recycling, electrification of transport, etc).

You can’t ‘bitesize’ climate change, it’s too big an issue to adequately bullet point an explanation of.

I’m concerned this is coming directly from the NHS report they are reporting on as that’s extra grim.

Is it not that the data capture points were 2011 to 2018, and that certainly in 2011 the “T” was not added in the way it is now?

2 Likes

hmm…

big fan of the Horne Section but that show is a painful watch

1 Like

Yeah, joe from the Horne section was my other half’s housemate when they were at music college. I’m sure he has ermm mixed feelings on the show…

Didn’t even read the text until after watching the video… Yeesh.

There is one throwaway comment about “cancel culture” (ugh) from Ricky Gervais (ugh) in this entire article and it’s instantly rebutted by an expert. How does the BBC end up framing the article?

1 Like

I saw that headline earlier and thought, “oh Christ here we go again”. Then I started reading the article and Gervais was talking about low ratings and I thought maybe the ‘cancelled’ headline referred to poor viewer numbers. And then, inevitably, he starts prattling on about cancel culture.

Shit from Gervais and shit from the BBC.

One of my daughter’s mate’s dads is also in the Horne section. His regular gig is as part or Robbie William’s band…

Yeah, one of Joe’s other ‘jobs’ is being in madness. He’s not named as part of the band (as he must be c30 years younger) but is on records/tour with them - he was on top of the bus with them when they played the olympics. Nice mix of work if you can get it! When i knew him well, he was a total jazz enthusiast so you have to have an open mind/compromise a bit.

2 Likes

they seem like a great bunch of lads, the podcast is a lot of fun

1 Like

Has Gervais considered the alternative which is that his comedy was very much of its time and none of his stuff has aged well (Karl Pilkington aside, but Karl is the one doing the work there)

Wouldn’t have bothered with the brackets, personally. Can’t be doing with either of 'em.

4 Likes

Always thought that this is living the dream- be an anonymous member of a big band on tour to generate the money (and probably enjoy it even if it’s not your first choice of music), then spend the rest of your time doing what you want creatively.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ArisKatzourakis/status/1413632584278548484?s=20

1 Like

just read that BBC story about Raheem Sterling…

“one newspaper labelled him greedy”
really? did they? what newspaper was that?

cowardly worms. fuck BBC news

1 Like

Agreed. At worst they’re At It. At best they’re being uselessly ignorant and negligent.