BBC4 are showing Our Friends in the North again...

I’d suggest a rewatch but people are a bit crap at them.

Anyway, watch this recap with Eccleston…

5 Likes

Never watched this. Am keen to after seeing you rate it a good few times over the years.

1 Like

Rewatched the first three episodes. Just fucking extraordinary telly. As good as anything ever broadcast in this country.

3 Likes

No idea why I missed this at the time but in the subsequent years I’ve always thought that I should have watched it. Well, if it’s on iplayer now might be the time to finally get it watched, only 26 years late!

The fourth episode of this - 1970 - is the best single episode of any TV programme ever made. Watch it, honestly, even if you can’t be arsed with the whole series. The cast is fucking incredible, and there are so many great storylines - corruption at the Met, government sleeze, gentrification and homelessness, consumerism, party politics, radical communism.

1 Like

Really enjoying this, first proper watch. only managed to catch bits and pieces when it first aired (would have been 13) but has always stuck with me. So many great performances - Alum Armstrong and Simon McBurney in this episode

Can’t believe there hasn’t been more interest in this. Knew you were all plastic lefties.

Been thinking this week that this is probably the closest thing to The Wire we’ve ever had, in terms of the central moral premises, etc. Very different in ways, but also very similar ideologically.

1 Like

I’m watching it just don’t feel the need to document it here you massive Tory!!

1 Like