Beach House 2022

loving this so far…

I have heard none of the new album and can’t quite decide if I should dive in or not. I’m usually strictly an albums guy, so would usually wait until the full thing is released. But…1) this is a while away yet 2) when it is released it’ll be the equivalent of a double which always feels like a lot of music in one go 3) the cold and dark is a good fit for Beach House and 4) people are talking about how good this is…

I think as I’ve typed I’ve convinced myself to join the first two releases as a “disc 1” and listen and then wait until both the others are released to hear then together.

1 Like

This is great.

Love that cascading melody in Once Twice Melody. Reminds me of The Rip (a good thing obvs).

1 Like

Absolutely rinsing New Romance

2 Likes

What a good album this is already

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty incredible, and the weird release actually really plays into its favour. I am enjoying being able to get to know each ‘chapter’ individually but also looking forward to being immersed in the whole thing next month.

2 Likes

Personally not a fan of this style of album rollout, glad to hear people are liking it though. Looking forward to listening to the full thing when it releases.

2 Likes

As someone who often never ends up listening to the end of an album, this is quite a good system for me.

I didn’t realise it’s just the digital release tomorrow and the CD/vinyl is April :frowning:

1 Like

Weird isn’t it. Looks like U.S. and Bandcamp orders have gone out but European distro isn’t till April.

Wonder how the pressing is going to be given the album is over 2 hours long.

1 Like

Oh shit, just occurred to me I can get the download for the new’un

Shiiiit

1 Like

How’s everyone feeling about the new album?

Tbh I’m not really sure, obviously it’s such a long album it probably just needs more time to digest (I didn’t listen to the staggered releases).

Feels initially like every individual song with the exception of Runaway which I could really live without although weirdly don’t mind as much in the context of the album is strong and they are experimenting a fair bit - get some distinct late 60s psychedelia even some Depeche Mode ish bits - albeit within the obvious BH sound. But doesn’t feel coherent like 7 (which I think is great and genuinely pushed them forward). It also just somehow doesn’t seem to have that BH feel of enveloping you in the sound and mood; maybe this is a production or sequencing issue?

I feel that it should have been two albums released 5 months apart. I’d barely listen to the latter half and am bored of the first half haha

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t feel like the latter songs are bad but it starts to feel a bit pointless after about track 11. Just more songs.

Definitely dont feel like it needed to be a double album, aa much as I like the songs. I like the steps into that more cinematic sound pallette and some of the more “motorik” stuff reminds me of Stereolab even.

1 Like

That makes me think I should give it more time.

I went for a run with it on the other day. I really like it, but there are waaaaaaaaaayy too many mid-tempo ploddy tunes in that latter half. The opening batch are super strong. To be honest, I’m happy having a really long, enjoyable Beach House record with a bunch of flavours on even if it is a bit too long. It feels bloated at this stage but I’m happy to keep digging in.

Outside purely instrumental music BH feel like the ideal band to do a really long album that can just wash over you.