Beansprouts in a jar

Anyone have any experience with these?
I got them cause you never know when you’re gonna spontaneously fancy a noodle dish or something that requires them, but now I’m looking at them I am SUSPICIOUS.

No.

I’m going to mute this thread now.

1 Like

Helpful as always!

Sorry I can’t see this as I’ve muted the thread

1 Like

This thread goes against everything that I value

1 Like

Jelly on a plate

3 Likes

Never used them. But I’ve often thought that the bag sizes for beansprouts are far too big. Use half of them and then the rest sit in their bag turning to mush.

3 Likes

As I was goin’ over
The Cork and Kerry Mountains
I saw Captain Farrell
And his money, he was countin’
I first produced my pistol
And then produced my rapier
I said, “Stand and deliver or the devil he may take ya”
I took all of his money
And it was a pretty penny
I took all of his money,
Yeah, and I brought it home to Molly
She swore that she loved me,
No, never would she leave me
But the devil take that woman,
Yeah, for you know she tricked me easy
Musha rain dum a doo, dum a da
Whack for my daddy, oh
Whack for my daddy, oh
There’s beansprouts in a jar, oh

9 Likes

Yeah see that’s my problem, and I’m not even a family I’m just a one woman household. The shelf life on them isn’t amazing either. I’m sure frozen beansprouts exist but I don’t have a big freezer, it’s more of an icebox. Sigh.

Also my eating habits are strange so there’s no point in me buying them in just in case cause I forget to eat for days at a time and by then they’ll just be soup in the veg box.

1 Like

This is lovely, thank you.

Again, no help whatsoever but I do appreciate it none the less

Jack Monroe says that tinned potatoes / carrots etc are just as nutritious as fresh ones (whilst avoiding food waste) and I trust her on this sort of stuff. So I’d imagine jars of beansprouts would be the same too. Maybe give them a bit of a rinse first? I’m interested in the results!

2 Likes

I reckon the high water content would make freezing them a no go. They’re good from a can and I’ve only ever had them go off when I’ve bought them fresh

1 Like

I looooove Jack :heart: yeah you’re right! I’m sure they’ll be fine, just a bit worried they’ll be, like… pickley? Didn’t think to rinse them first :smiley: thank you!

Although just checked and it says on the side “once opened consume within one day” SO IVE SOLVED NOTHING HERE

Hmm I wouldn’t trust that. Olives say something similar and they’re good for a fortnight or so.

1 Like

Beansprout Sanger for lunch tomorrow

1 Like

In fact

I remembered I am also sprouting some mung beans and need to rinse them :grimacing:

1 Like

@anon19035908 - I reckon this is the 6’8 bass player

2 Likes

Grow your in a tea towel or something

1 Like

I know I know it’s serious

2 Likes

Definitely. Permanently in a pork pie hat and sunglasses.

2 Likes